Preloading pages into the cache on Azure

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:39

Preloading pages into the cache on Azure

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2012 00:00

After a deployment, it takes my app about a minute to load the first time.  This is understandable because things have to warm up.  I've attempted to implement some code that would make the web role auto start to avoid this, but that's a different issue.  My question really centers around the pages that are visited after the warmup.

The pages that have not been hit before and therefore are not in the cache have to run to the DB to get the data and then be rendered.  This "first time anyone loads any page" action takes between 4-15 seconds per page.  I don't know why.  All images are on the Azure CDN, Even pages with no content blocks take this long.

I have a support ticket in to Telerik regarding these slow load times but none of their suggestions to address the issue have helped.  I also have a Premier support out to Microsoft's Azure team but even after 5 hours on the phone with them running tests to see if Azure's IIS was dishing out pages fast (it was, < 200ms), my pages still take way too long to load the first time.  And the Azure folks claim their servers are fine, their data center is fine, and there is no network variances or problems that could be causing a simple first-time-visited-after-publish Sitefinity page to take 4-15 seconds to load.

The idea of creating something as part of the Sitefinity visual studio package deployment that will pre-load the pages upon the role starting up is appealing.  If I could just say "here's 200 pages, after the role starts up, load them all into server cache", this may help speed things up for my end users by not requiring any of them to have to take on the burden of being the first person to load that page from the database and into the server's cache, where it awaits for a speedy delivery to the next visitor.

www.bondigeek.com/.../

This article gives some details but it is not very clear where to put the code or how to test if it is actually working.  I was hoping someone here had run into the same problem and knew of a smart, easy way to preload all of your Sitefinity pages into server cache.  Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Oct-2012 00:00

Hello Corby,

Thank you for using Sitefinity!

Unfortunately this is the case with any large ASP.NET application. Luckily there are a number of different ways to overcome your initialization process. Check out this blog article on keeping your site warm with IIS6/7.5, Azure, etc. Let me know if you have any additional questions about it.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Greetings,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed