Search

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:58

Search

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2012 00:00

Please, please, please bring back the forum-specific search!

Thank you,
Donna

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2012 00:00

To add to the frustration here....

I am trying to do a search on centering a video and am coming up with 68,300 hits. How am I supposed to narrow a search down to Sitefinity 5.x???

@Telerik

www.sitefinity.com/.../new-sitefinity-com-forum

1 month without much improvements

Trying to keep track of the issues, added new once on the bottom

- slow 
- no search within forums
- no notification to answers in own post
- Registration date changes when you change nickname
- no indication on new or solved/answered threads 

- No RadEditor tool to insert a link, only UnLink
- Responsive Design takes Log-in away  www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_responsive_forum.swf
- Lines on Editor when scrolling (at least in chrome on my machine)
- Firefox editor unusable after attachment screencast.com/.../eohje1bbYE3H
  Answer area looks different on FF and Chrome anyhow. See attachments.
- Scrollbars not touch userfriendly

Are you skiing in denver or working on these issues?

Markus

Wow. I'm planning to work with the forums module soon. This is not very hopeful. I don't intend to loose my community due to a buggy forum...

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2012 00:00

Hello guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
 There is now a forum-specific search in the forums list. You can also filter the other search results on the results page (there is a list of filters to the left of the results). 
The changing registration date is also fixed.

Let me know if you have other problems with forums.

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Svetoslav

I don't seem to get it. Sorry. How do I search the bugs/issues forum only?

As for you asking if I have other problems with forum.

Here is a list

- slow 
- no search within forums
- no notification to answers in own post
- Registration date changes when you change nickname
- no indication on new or solved/answered threads 

- No RadEditor tool to insert a link, only UnLink
- Responsive Design takes Log-in away  www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_responsive_forum.swf
- Lines on Editor when scrolling (at least in chrome on my machine)
- Firefox editor unusable after attachment screencast.com/.../eohje1bbYE3H
  Answer area looks different on FF and Chrome anyhow. See attachments.
- Scrollbars not touch userfriendly

Markus

This one drives me mental
"No RadEditor tool to insert a link, only UnLink"

...it's a 30 second backend settings fix! ...just add the tool, give me a login and I'll do it if nobody can be bothered

Just tried it out...it's such a terrible search...lucene blows, why doesn't telerik dogfood it internally.

Go to the page: www.sitefinity.com/.../forums
Search for this thread in partial: type in "Searc" (notice no H), hit enter
Result: 1 entry returned, because someone typod search

Retarded Lucene syntax to the "Rescue"
Change the search to "Searc?" and hit enter...results appear

Worst...search implementation...ever.

IMO when it hits the SF backend it should auto-append those wildcards so it at least returns what the user would expect it to return.  Please show me a popular search engine that requires someone to use ? or * or some other character to flesh out their query.

I also realize this is how it has always been...but it's always sucked :)

If there is a forum-specific search, then it's not obvious to dummies like me.

As far as I can see there is a search for ALL forums, but not for a specific forum.

The bigger issue for me though, is the results returned.

Invariably I get results for older versions (why would I want results for V2 at the top of the list?) and no obvious way to filter and/or sort these.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2012 00:00

@MB
Am I glad that I am not the only one who does not seem to get it :-)

@Telerik
Nice try but no sale on this one.

@Svetoslav
Did you see my list of what else is not quite like I (and maybe others) would have it.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2012 00:00

@Steve
I'm pretty sure that the Lucene api is more than capable of providing a good search service.
By default, I believe that it assumes an 'Alta-Vista' user syntax (which was always frustratingly pedantic) but (as I understand it) all of that can be configured.
Not that I'm any expert on this, but I believe that Apache Solr is based on the Lucene api, and yet provides all of the features and experience expected of a modern full-text search engine.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi guys,

By "forums-specific" search I meant that we brought back the old search for the whole forums area. I'm sorry if I caused any misunderstanding.
 We have taken everything reported into consideration and we are investigating all the different issues and working on fixing them.

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

On the old forums post, you could actually filter by an individual forum section by adding in the ID of the forum. It was a hack, but allowed us to filter the results a little more.

@Richard Baugh
Actually, I thought that the old 3.7 site did that automatically, when you used the search-bar available within each child forum.
The main Telerik support forums are still running on a 3.7 site, and that is how they work... each forum has its own search-bar, and the '&fid=nnn' argument is automatically appended to the search.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2012 00:00

Yes, you could go into an individual forum and do a search, but if you just wanted to search the entire 4.x+ forums you couldn't directly. If you went into a specific 4.x+ forum and did a search, it would then provide you with a link on the left side of the results to go up to the parent 4.x+ forum.

I just grabbed the ID of this parent forum and would use it from the main search to save some of the extra clicks. You could also directly search by creating the search url yourself.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi all,

I want to reasure you that  we are actively working on all the issues reported in this thread. The first changes are already vidible (we have improved the responsive design in the forums). Notifications issues will be resolved on Thursday (November 22).  Here is an ordered list of the next things which will be addressed:

1) Improvments in the search area - add per forum group search. If possible add per forum search.
2) Indication for answered threads in the forums list.

I will notify you once we start working on the rest of the issues.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2012 00:00

Hey Radoslav,

Awesome! Got my first 'a new thread has been submitted' email this morning :)
Thanks for the great improvements!

Jochem

@Radoslav
  Hey Rado, you probably are already aware, but...

1) It's emailing me when I post a reply, which gets annoying, I don't need to be notified I just replied to someone

2) Email has an "Unsibscribe" link (typo)...and is the same link as View All Posts.  The actual unsubscribe function is hidden weirdly behind "Email Subscription" which has an RSS icon (again, weirdly)

@Steve - 2 steps forward, 1 step back - LOL.

And on that subject... one of the (many) things annoying me has been that I need to log-in each time I start a new session, because the authentication cookie is apparently either being destroyed, discarded or ignored.

I know it's trivial, but it just bugs me that none of this was apparently tested before changing a functioning tech-support site (albeit with some issues of its own) to a largely useless tech-support site, just to achieve the change in presentation.

So anyway, this morning I need to log-in again to post, and just to run salt into it, there is now an extra pointless step introduced - a page with a [Telerik] button - between my request to login and the login page...

This thread is closed