Strange URL behavior...is this fixable?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:21

Strange URL behavior...is this fixable?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2012 00:00

I've noticed that our system produces inconsistent URLs, which makes me worry about SEO performance. You'll see you can access our home page via www.telephonypartners.com, but if you click the Home link in the toolbar, it redirects to www.telephonypartners.com/home, which makes sense since the the page's URL in the CMS is "home."

This behavior is also present in blog posts. As an example, you can see a recent post both, which can be accessed both at www.telephonypartners.com/.../better-contracting-with-docusign and www.telephonypartners.com/.../better-contracting-with-docusign (note the extra "blog" in the second URL). I suspect this behavior is because our blog is set to have a URL of "blog."

I've tried clearing the URL field in the page properties, but that's not allowed. All pages must have something in that URL field.

Any ideas how I can make it so the home page is always the bare URL, without the extra "/home" and how the blog link will always have only one instance of the word "blog" in the URL?

Josh

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2012 00:00

FWIW - I personally have an aversion to putting 'Home' on the navigation-bar, as I think it is both redundant and unattractive - as well as taking up space on the navbar that I am normally short of.

I only ever use the logo (always top left) and some static text links (usually top right) that include Home, Contact-Us, About-Us, etc - i.e. Pages that people need to have access to but actually rarely visit.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2012 00:00

I'm with you on the Home link and actually started out without one, but you'd be surprised how many people during development would ask, "How do I get back to the home page." I thought the logo link was pretty universal UX by now, but it's a comfort for some folks, I guess.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2012 00:00

Hey Josh,

By default you'll actually have 3 url's pointing to your homepage:
www.telephonypartners.com
www.telephonypartners.com/home
www.telephonypartners.com/.../

All of which will be perceived by Google as different pages. So setting up a canconical will at least avoid any seo confusion. (Naturally changing the manual link on the image to point to /home will also help)

support.google.com/.../answer.py

Take a look at this page to see how to remove the trailing slash from the equation: 
www.sitefinity.com/.../using-url-rewrite-for-seo
The /blog/blog/ vs /blog/ is just a lucky coincidence because you named your blog 'blog' so it understands the url by accident. Slavo Ingilizov wrote a blogpost a while back, describing how you can chance blog/news urls, perhaps that will help you:
www.sitefinity.com/.../custom_url_formats_for_sitefinity_content_modules

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2012 00:00

Thanks. I went ahead and created a custom control that I can use to set the canonical link. Great suggestion and a good way to avoid wrestling with the URLs themselves. Nevertheless, I did implement the rewriting rules to strip the trailing slash.

I'll work on setting up the blog links so they work a little better.

Josh

This thread is closed