RAM usage stays high after backend usage.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 06:24

RAM usage stays high after backend usage.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Dec-2012 00:00

This might be another dumb question from me.

I have a 5.3 SF installation on development.

Here are the RAM comsumptions. (btw way below 500 MB but it has no traffic and only one editor)

App_pool recycled browsing a bit looking at some image galeries -> ~200 MB
Sing in to backend go to pages, change a page, save page -> ~250 MB
Go to images, change some, go to docs rename some -> ~ 270 MB
Reindex an search with doucments spikes amy ~400 MB then goes back to around -> ~310 MB

The problem no that I see is that after 12 hours the RAM beeing used by this web app is ~ 390 MB.

I would have liked it to come back down to ~200 MB as it was before editing.

------------

The problem is that if I have 6 Sites on my VPS it does not matter if one or two go up to 350 MB but if all 6 will remain 150 MB above what they need to simply be browsed at its an extra 900 MB RAM usage.

------------
Is this normal? Will the RAM only be freed when app_pool gets recycled?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2012 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

Please take a look at this forum post for more information and let me know if you need further help.

Kind regards,
Veronica Milcheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Veronica

Compare the user asking this question in this post, and giving the answer in the other post :-)

Sorry it does not really answer my question. I am not complaining that SF uses to much RAM. I am wondering why the usage will not go down once I have not used the backend for example for  10 hours.

It seems to me once RAM is usesd by Sitfinity it will keep beeing uses. Optimum would be (numbers are examples, so don't try to get it up that high as feature request :-))

Browsing Site 250 MB usage 
Editing Site 450 MB usage
Exit Editing - 30 Minutes later back to 250 MB

I have the impression 4.4 did react that was. Since I do not understand to much about these things I asked the question.

Markus

@Markus

What is the actual metric you are using for 'ram usage' ?

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Dec-2012 00:00

I think this is what Markus mean.
Take a look into my 3 screenshots. But Overall. The Ram usage of sitefinity is to high.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Dec-2012 00:00

Hi guys,

I see the concerns that you have, but this is not that unusual behavior. When someone logs into the Administration backend, there are lots of things that initialized. While we can clean some of them after the usage or logout, some of them continue to live in the memory during the whole process lifetime. Please don't get me wrong - there are things to be optimized, but we'll probably never get the memory as to prior to login to the backend, or as to after the startup. 

The next release of Sitefinity is going to bring some pleasant surprises to the memory usage especially the performance. Stay tuned...

..and Happy Holidays :).

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Dec-2012 00:00

Dear Georgi

Well first I want to wish you and the whole Telerik/Sitefinity team a good start into 2013.

I am glad to hear that 5.4 will bring some improvements to the memory usage. I just checked an older 4.4 site and the RAM usage seems to stay high after using the back end as well.

However the usage was 132 MB browsing the site and 253 MB after editing some pages (no reindexing of search done)

If you would get 5.4 back into that neighborhood that would be amazing an enable me to update more sites on the server. Again if I update and have 6 times 150 MB RAM usage it would force me to move 2 sites to new server (work, cost, client changes (email))

Markus

This thread is closed