Inline Editing for non backend users

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:12

Inline Editing for non backend users

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi,

We'd like to allow a particular user group the ability to edit basic information, a profile page basically for each user. Ideally we could assign each user to a group ('supplier' in this case) and then have a few editable widgets on a template which they could edit. This page could then be viewed by other users on the front end of the website i.e those not logged in.

Ideally I'd like it if this user group could use inline editing to edit the content, but I couldn't find a way to allow this without giving them access to the admin.

Sorry if this has been posted before re: user permissions but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

Many thanks

Andy

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2013 00:00

So I'd almost like to mirror the functionality here where you can edit an existing post, but it would be standard content rather than within a forum.

If there is an easy way to do this within Sitefinity with permissions rather than developing custom controls a quick pointer would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Andy,

Is this a custom module you will be using to store the supplier information or are you using the Sitefinity user profile module/widgets (which can be extended with custom fields). If you are using the latter you allow for View and Edit mode to be enabled and Edit mode will only be available for those who have permissions (ie changing their own information). This is all done from the front end and doesn't require back end access. If you are creating a custom module (from the look of your requirements, I recommend not to ) to store the information you will need to create a widget to display and edit information. The easiest way to do this is to create an edit page which only shows the editing information for the current user's role abilities and then a public view page for everyone to see the changed information.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a lot for the reply, really useful! I think extending the user profiles is the best options as you suggest, sorry I didn't realise this was an option.

We will also need custom modules so the advice about creating edit pages will also come in useful.

Best regards

Andy

This thread is closed