Unclear update instructions for 5.3

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:12

Unclear update instructions for 5.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2013 00:00

www.sitefinity.com/.../
PREREQUISITES: You can upgrade to Sitefinity 5.3 only if your project is currently using Sitefinity 5.2. 
If you are using Sitefinity 5.0 or 5.1, you must first upgrade to 5.2 and perform procedure Upgrading the web.config and the SitefinityWebApp.csproj files.

If you are using Sitefinity 4.3 or Sitefinity 4.4, see Upgrading Sitefinity 4.3 and 4.4 projects

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrading-sitefinity-4.3-and-4.4-projects

Seems to tell me that its ok to take it up from 5.0 directly.

It would be nice if we had a document for each version showing us what are the needed/best steps to get to the latest version.

Kind of 

4.4 to 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.3 

or is it

4.4 to 5.0 to 5.2 to 5.3

or is it

4.4 to 5.0 to 5.3

Usually you state two versions back are supported but then there were some changes that needed to be done for one version only but its hard to find all the right documents.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thank you for the feedback.

I just want to note that we have just updated our upgrade section of our documentation, which should be clearer now:

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade

Let me know if you have any further notes!

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2013 00:00

Dear Victor

Super! One suggestion I would change the links and the title later to 

Upgrading your Sitefinity 4.4 Version to 5.0 
instead of
Upgrading your Sitefinity 4.4 Version to the latest version

Since the instraction are only for one update step and not all the way

And at the bottom of each version set a link to the next step Like 5.0 to 5.2 and so on.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2013 00:00

I think there are errors in the upgrade instructions

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrading-you-sitefinity-4.4-project-to-the-latest-version

See attachment 

system.webserver instead of system.web

Can you confirm and if I am correct change it where its is wrong. Might be a problem in other pages as well

Markus

PS: Usually I just update the site in sitefinity.exe upload it to server and run it and never messed with web.config. First time I try to follow instructions -> error 500 LOL

Just copied over a web.config from blank project to fix it :-)

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2013 00:00

One little request

I use Code Compare to compare old new web.configs. If you try to keep your formating consistent it will help a lot 

keep spaces like  bla" /> instead of bla"/> 

Just a small thing but make comparison so much more fun.

I encurage Telerik to use CodeCompare to look at the blank project web.config files every time you publish a new version.

web.config 5_0_2800 

<add name="SitefinitySiteMap" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinitySiteMap, Telerik.Sitefinity" taxonomyProvider="OpenAccessDataProvider" pageTaxonomy="Pages" rootNode="FrontendSiteMap" pageProvider="OpenAccessDataProvider" />

<urlCompression doDynamicCompression="true" doStaticCompression="true" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="true" />

web.config 5_2_3800

<add name="SitefinitySiteMap" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinitySiteMap, Telerik.Sitefinity" />

<urlCompression doDynamicCompression="true" doStaticCompression="true" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="false" />

for example. Many small change that we (as not so advanced programmers) might have problem figuring out what the reason for change and effect might be.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your notes and requests. I have forwarded the outlined notes to our teams so they can consider adding / editing the current upgrade instructions.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2013 00:00

How about this 

I think there are errors in the upgrade instructions www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrading-you-sitefinity-4.4-project-to-the-latest-version See attachment system.webserver instead of system.webCan you confirm and if I am correct change it where its is wrong. Might be a problem in other pages as well

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thank you for the feedback - we will make sure to correct the upgrade instructions throughout the documentation where needed.

Let me know of any further considerations that you might have.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2013 00:00

Dear Victor

I see that some of 5.4 has been added www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade

But as from 5.1 down the changes have not been made. 

For example

5.1 -> 5.2 -> 5.3

Since you can take 5.2 to 5.4 I assume this should be changed to 

5.1 -> 5.2 ->5.4

And the same of course for all down to 4.0

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for your feedback - we will make make note of your findings in regards to the upgrade documentation.

Let us know of any other issues / missing data that you might find.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2013 00:00

Dear Victor

It's nice you took a note. But it would be nicer if the errors would be corrected!!

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2013 00:00

Dear Victor 

I think we are getting closer.

However I do not understand that we should be able to take 5.2 to 5.4 directly but all others have 5.3 step in between.

Can you explain this?

See screenshot.

Markus

Hello Markus,

The 5.3 is included in the upgrade instructions as some of the changes that need to be made to the configuration files are actually from our previous version 5.3, which also need to be applied when going to 5.4, therefore we have included 5.3 in the upgrade path.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Unless the update instructions for 5.2 -> 5.4 are wrong I don't understand your answer.

So either upgrades from 5.2 should read 5.2 -> 5.3 -> 5.4 or I am simply to dumb to understand why I need the 5.3 steps inbetween if I have come from somewhere earlier and upgraded to 5.2.

Also if this is true and Telerik stops supporting 2 versions back (for most versions) then it adds more work and hassle to keep sites up to date.

Sorry for beeing a pain but I ponit get the point --> but then again I am a bit older :-)

Markus

PS: the last image showed colored where some 5.3 seems to bee needed (red) and were 5.3 does not seem to be needed (green)

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Mar-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

I am sorry for the miscommunication in my previous reply - we will update the documentation so the steps are outlined correctly ( without the 5.3 step as it is not needed, as noted ).

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Dear Victor

We are getting closer :-)

Look at the image.

Markus

Hello Markus,

Thanks for the heads up :)

We fixed this one too.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Mar-2013 00:00

Dear Victor

Well I do trust you that 5.3 is not needed inbetween 5.2 and 5.4.

Don't want to be a pain but lets talk about 5.0 -> 5.2. 

If 5.1 is needed -> then please change the 4.0 through 4.4 update instructions

if 5.1 is NOT needed -> then please change the 5.0 update instructions

Markus

PS: I don't know if you know how important this page is for us. We work with what you are giving us!

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

You are correct, the 5.1 step during the 5.0 -> latest upgrade is not needed. We will update the article as soon as possible.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2013 00:00

Dear Victor 

Could you please check if there is a web.config change missing when upgrading from 5.0 to 5.2

<system.web> <siteMap> <providers>

<add name="SitefinitySiteMap" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinitySiteMap, Telerik.Sitefinity" taxonomyProvider="OpenAccessDataProvider" pageTaxonomy="Pages" rootNode="FrontendSiteMap" pageProvider="OpenAccessDataProvider" />

<add name="SitefinitySiteMap" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinitySiteMap, Telerik.Sitefinity" />

Markus

PS: Just a little side note. 5.2 (maybe 5.1 also) does perform an database optimization. In my case I did not have enough space available for DB and transaction protocoll so the optimization failed first.

It might be helpfull to note this in the upgarde instrations. Make sure your database has at least bla bla bla free space.

This helped me. www.sitefinity.com/.../database-optimization-from-5-0-to-5-1

Another little side note. While upgrading I use CodeCompare to compare my web.config with one from the _EmptyProject created. It helps remoundously if even the spaces are the same from web.config version to web.config version. Like this you see immediately where changes must be made. 5.2 to 5.4 was very good. Others before had many blue sections.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Mar-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

Actually the configuration is not required as in Sitefinity 5.2 we have introduced the mutlisite management addon, therefore we moved some of the configurations regarding the pages in the App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration folder.

Regarding the other notes - we appreciate your feedback and will have it mind and change them where necessary.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Mar-2013 00:00

Dear Victor

What I ment is would it make sense to write in the update instuction

remove, add, change concering this part?!!

Markus

PS: Very very very small side note: www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrading-your-sitefinity-5.3-project-to-the-latest-version could you change under Ponint 6c the order of two lines.

Telerik.Sitefinity.ProecompiledTemplate.dll as 6. c. a 
Telerik.WebTestRunner.Server.dll as 6.c.b

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2013 00:00

The last steps in 4.0, 4.2, 4.4 and so on  is always a link to the next update

These links are missing as of version 5.0 I think. Mostly the points 13 or 14.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for informing us about this missing link. The continue upgrading (perform procedure of upgrading) link should be added in the article for upgrading Sitefinity 5.2 to the latest Sitefinity 6.0 version. I have forwarded this missing part to our Documentation team and the article will be updated soon.

Greetings,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

This thread is closed