Sitefinity 6.0 Roadmap

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 13:59

Sitefinity 6.0 Roadmap

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2013 00:00

Great, there is a 6.0 roadmap. Thanks for that!

Thumbs up for the Canonical URL Service! It sounds promising, although the details are not clear to me yet. Does this mean that Sitefinity can now easily generate an XML Sitemap for SEO?

Regarding SEO: Will this public issue be solved by any chance?

Most importantly: what about the long list of bugs, missing obvious features and missing documentation? Will 6.0 solve this as well?

I hope that more details on the 6.0 release will be posted soon. Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2013 00:00

As usually I have a long list of wishes :-)

I guess I am repeating myself. 

Hierachical libraries are great to have

- but will they also have improvments on the rights side

- also http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/general-discussions-/restricting-a-user-to-a-certain-document-library

- also http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/bugs-issues-/5-0-se---permissions-on-image-libraries-and-manage-image-libraries
- make sure that we are able to pick them properly. Some stuff is still not sorted alphabetically

File upload move from Silverlight

- Great news
- While you are at it 

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/suggestions---/5-5-video-widget-request-2013-html5-like--)

Image-Widget still has a lot of improvemnts

- Use the available space. Its simply rediculous to have a 3 line library on a 1920 px screen. 

- How about finaly having the ability to select thumb and large images and have the large ones open in lightbox style). That's a very very common szenario

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/suggestions---/image-widget-improvements

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/developing-with-sitefinity-/image-widget---show-large-image-in-fancybox-style

Search

Prevent restricted documents from beeing index in search (and extract displayed!!!!)

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/general-discussions-/prevent-search-index-to-index-certain-files

Dashboard

Did I ever mention that I dont need to have my clients see the 3.7 migration after 2 years. 

Disable the migration module by default (dev should know where to enable) and hide the 3.7 migration stuff when module is disabled.

Simply let me start with pages if the dashboard does not get any 3.7 functionality

And of course there are a ton of PITS issues and bug/feature request that would make SF 6.0 simply more userfriendly.

This is also an old request. Please fix all the existing problems before bringing new stuff with new problems.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2013 00:00

That's a fine list and I hope Telerik will respond to it soon. I agree 100% with your statement "Please fix all the existing problems before bringing new stuff with new problems." It's crucial for the future of Sitefinity to get back to the quality level I think it once was.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Feb-2013 00:00

Hi Arno & Markus,

roadmaps are always a tricky business and we cannot possibly make everyone happy. We spend a lot of time balancing the efforts between editions, balancing the needs of our very wide customer base and spend tremendous amount of time talking to our customers and partners - as we pride ourselves on being customer driven company.

Asking us to fix "all existing problems" is a very broad request and bordering an impossible one. Here is an example: We've done a polling on our customers and majority said they don't want permissions on child libraries (for the sake of simplicity), yet Markus is asking us will we do it the right way - with permissions, so we have a bit of a situation here. :)

Also, you have to keep in mind that not being able to connect Sitefinity with their SharePoint instance is actually a pretty big problem for quite a few people. So, we are working very hard on assessing actual business cases our clients and partners have and we don't think in terms of features.

We are trying to be completely fair and transparent to all our customers, hence we have PITS system where everyone can vote on the issues (and keep in mind this is not bugs, but more often feature requests) they'd like to resolve.

Finally, how is implementing a new dashboard different from implementing a Mobile App Builder? Both of those are "new features"; so it's not really fixing existing problems. We do understand that for you those are important, so, we have logged them and they will be evaluated - but there is thousands of other people that have a different opinion on how would they like Sitefinity to evolve. This is also one of the main reasons why we spend so much time making Sitefinity extensible, as we cannot possibly make everyone 100% happy and cover all the edge cases (though we try our best).

Finally - @Arno, yes the issue you have linked will be fixed. @Markus, many of the improvements you'd like to see will happen, but we can't make roadmap on such a low level. We use release notes for a detailed debrief on what has been done.

Greetings,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Ivan

Don't get me wrong. It's a wish list :-) Like x-mas you not always get what you want. And like in the past I have been happy what you provided.

Have I been asked to take the poll. And did your customers say they did not want it or just that they would like other stuff more ;-)

As for the Dashboard request. I am not asking for much. Simply being able to start with pages would be great :-) And thats much easier to do then adding sharepoint connection.

Also fixing everything is broad you are right. So whatever gets fixed I take :-)

Again - I am just posting my wishes, because when you never tell your mom you want a puppy you might end up with a cat.

Waiting for 6.0 happily because it will come out sooner the x-mas.

Markus

Is there a general dashboard PITS item? If so, I cannot find it. 

The closest I could find was creating a customizable dashboard, which would be great, but for now I think a simple count of items and links to draft/pending content would be great and a quick win for the Sitefinity team. 

This is heavily requested from my customers and something they're used to seeing in every other CMS they've tested.

Thanks for your reply Ivan. I really appreciate that you will fix the issue I linked to. That's an important improvement to the product.

As for "fixing all existing problems": that's a matter of how one defines "problems". I would like to define it as "bugs confirmed by Telerik", not as "everything customers have asked for". Getting rid of confirmed bugs results in a better product and a happy user base.

Also I feel that complete documentation is very important. I know that's a lot of work, but it would save the customer and your support staff so much time if there was more information and examples available.

I'm looking forward to 6.0!

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Apr-2013 00:00

Will SF 6.0 make the jump to .NET 4.5?
Thanks, Gregory

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi,

Sitefinity supports SQL Server 2012 and .NET 4.5. This hosting requirement is valid for all versions of Sitefinity which are built targeting .NET 4.0. Please note that since .NET 4.0 is upgrade to 4.5 your application pools will still target .NET 4.0 (no 4.5 application pool is introduced). You can find documentation on how to set up a Sitefinity website on Windows Server 2012 with .NET 4.5 installed here: Microsoft® Windows Server 2012 with IIS 8.0.

Please note that Sitefinity assemblies are still built targeting .NET 4.0. This will not cause problems hosting on IIS 8.0 with installed .NET 4.5. 

All the best,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Apr-2013 00:00

Here here!

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi,

I would also suggest you to review this article where you will find useful information regarding recommended environment settings for Sitefinity.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi,

I'm glad to see that 6.0 has just been released! What's the status of this PITS I asked about? It was confirmed that it would be included (up in this thread), but I don't see it in the release notes and the status is still "open".

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

Hello Arno,

Our development teams have discussed the PITS item previously and it appears to be a The discussed PITS item is actually a complex task, which requires some careful planning and development time, however the item did not make it for 6.0 - we will do our best to implement it in one of our future releases, and will keep you updated with the status of the item. Do not forget to check our roadmap page, which will include details about the upcoming features for the future versions of the CMS.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

Thanks for the update Victor. I just don't understand why the issue was confirmed to be fixed. I adjusted my planning for adding content to the project based on that promise. Now 6.0 is here and still I cannot proceed. It's a shame.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2013 00:00

Hi there,

One of the replies mentions:

"Sitefinity supports SQL Server 2012 and .NET 4.5. This hosting
requirement is valid for all versions of Sitefinity which are built
targeting .NET 4.0. "

Is the above valid for Sitefinity 5.1 as well?

We are installing Sitefinity 5.1 on Windows Server 2012 with SQL Server 2012.
I would like to know if this is a supported server configuration?

Also, where can I find system requirements for previous versions of Sitefinity.
How do I know which version started supporting a certain platform. The release notes for each version only mention the fixes and enhancement. They do not mention if a new OS or SQL Server has been added to the supported platform list.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2013 00:00

Hi Sashank,

We cannot guarantee support for platforms that were released after a particular version of Sitefinity. The requirements you see are for the latest version of Sitefinity. 

However, I use Sitefinity personally for my blog and it runs on Windows 2012 with SQL 2012 through Arvixe and I have no problems. I also haven't upgraded it from 5.1 yet.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team

This thread is closed