PITS effectiveness

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:41

PITS effectiveness

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2013 00:00

I would like to offer some constructive criticism. My perception is that PITS is not very effective as a tool for allowing the community to guide the prioritization of development tasks. It also does not seem to be pro-actively managed by the staff, and the tool itself is deficient for the purpose it is presumably intended. If there is a suitable way for me to provide detailed feedback on PITS, please let me know. I will be happy to document specific concerns.

Regards,
Gary

Hey Gary,

In my experience, the 'staff' is for sure looking into the PITS items. I also wonder sometimes why certain issues take so long, but I know the PITS is also heavily driven by votes (a.k.a. Agile ;))

Did you also checked out the Sitefinity Dev community on Google+? There you can add, ask detailed TECHNICAL stuff regarding your ideas or issues.

You can find the community via this url: http://knstr.it/Yy53qh

Kind regards,
Daniel

Thank you, Daniel. It's good to hear another person's perspective of this. And thanks for the link!

@Daniel

I don't think to agree on the votes driven comment. I more often hear - there are not many votes so it did not make it on the list.

Shared Content in Templates had huge amoutns of votes. Opened in May 2011 - released when again?

Email notification huge amount of votes. Opened in April 2011 - released when again

Recylce bin June 2011 - not even on any roadmap ant this the issue with the second most votes open no.

I simply vote so Telerik can not say nobody wanted it. But we have seen many feature addtions not on PITS list. 

Not complaining Telerik can decide whatever they add whenever they wont. I just dont think this is any tool for the community to push something up in the priority list.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2013 00:00

@Markus

I think you are being rather generous in your comments - I would have suggested that PITS is largely a waste of space.

How does anyone know when something is submitted, or that there is something they should vote for? I for one, don't spend my day browsing PITS (a painful process in itself) looking for things to vote for.

We use GFI products in-house, and they email me a weekly summary of the ideas and feedback forum, so that I can quickly scan it and see if there is something to vote or comment on.

And then, of course, there is the huge disconnect between what is in PITS and how Telerik actually respond - there seems to be no rhyme or reason there...

www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2013 00:00

To Sitefinity Team,

If you would set a goal to implement the top 1 or 2 most voted feature request with each point release, you would thrill all of us developers who are tasked with implementing Sitefinity-based solutions.

I think this would pretty much address the frustration shared by many of us that much needed features don't seem to ever make it to the roadmap. And we would take PITS participation far more seriously, so the quality of information available to you in PITS would improve and better indicate which are the most important customer needs.

Thank you for giving this your consideration.
Gary

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2013 00:00

1 or 2 ?

Sorry, but I feel it should be AL LEAST top 10 items are implemented with each release.

PITS continues to grow at significantly more than 1 or 2 items per release.

Entries in PITS are there for a reason - developers need & want them - either new features or fixes to existing problems.

At the moment anyone who posts a new item to PITS, or votes on an existing item, is doing so in the full knowledge that they have more chance of winning the lotto and being able to retire from their job, than seeing it implemented.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Apr-2013 00:00

I've rallied against PITS for YEARS...it's such a turd of a tool.  Silverlight is a horrible interface to browse with.  It creates such a huge barrier of entry NOBODY is in there browsing items.  The only time anyone visits pits is when support gives you a link in email to your issue and you might just click back to see others.

I always ask that my feature requests or bugs get put in just so they have some magical log somewhere and don't get forgotten.

Just keep an eye out...every single telerik product is on or moving to the Teampulse feedback portal...got money PITS will die and we'll be over there soon.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Apr-2013 00:00

Yes, browsing PITS is nothing but a huge waste of time - even if Silverlight didn't make the process such a total PITA to use, why would you even bother? It's a completely illogical process. I did it once, and vowed to never do it again.

As I said earlier, other products I use email me weekly summaries of all new ideas and top ranked items, so that I get TOLD what is new and what is popular... avoiding the need to go fishing.

People are far more likely to vote on items they know are there, they are very unlikely to vote on anything, if they need to embark on a Safari to find items they don't even know exist.

But all of that is beside the point, if Telerik then don't actually implement popular items.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello,

First I want to inform you that we are using Team Pulse as well when we are logging bugs and feature requests in our internal bug-tracking system. First we add them there then we add them in PITS so they could be seen from the community. Please note that we are reviewing all feature requests and their amount of votes. We are planing on every release of Sitefinity to address more feature requests like then ones mentioned below. Feature requests that are wanted and have big amount of votes. I will make sure that you suggestions will be forwarded.  

All the best,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2013 00:00

"Feature requests that are wanted and have big amount of votes"

How can the community vote for items they don't know exist ?

Why would anyone waste their time browsing PITS in the hope of finding something to vote on ?

This is exactly why PITS doesn't work.

This thread is closed