Any plans to include description of page in search results a

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:03

Any plans to include description of page in search results as default / option

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2013 00:00

The search results widget now shows an extract of the page. To me it would be ideal to show the description of the page by default in the search results.

Why?

a) Google does it that way, It cannot be that wrong :-)
b) Extracts can be really ugly if you have some hidden div on top 

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

I was looking at the same thing as I was trying to customize the search results. I agree that displaying the meta description should be the default or at least be an option to enable. I noticed that this has been discussed over a year ago here. Did the suggested method work for you?

Personally, I decided to give up on the build in search capabilities. By default, the result basically sucks. Even the 404 page, the error page and the search page itself (!) were included in the search results, even though I excluded them as described in the docs and the robots meta tag was on the page. The page extracts don't make sense. Adjusting functionality seems ridiculously complex from the examples I have seen. On top of that there are Public Issues that still have not been solved after a very long time. Issue 5274 is exactly 2 years old today! So I don't see how this will ever be upgraded to an acceptable feature.

I decided to move to a Google custom search engine instead. Far better search results, and it was working within a few hours. Unfortunately the non branded version starts at $100/year. I feel that the build-in Sitefinity search features should work, but well.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi Markus and Arno,

Thank you for your valuable input, we'd definitely consider this suggestion when discussing the planning for future improvements to the Search module.
In the meantime we have blogged about customizing SearchResults template as per your specific use case scenario (the sample actually includes page Description as well), hope you find it useful.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed