Using Sitefinity Widget Templates with external content

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 13:27

Using Sitefinity Widget Templates with external content

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2013 00:00

I'd like to be able to create widget that has the ability to choose a widget template from a designer. My widget has a single view right now and is pulling content from an external source and display an employee's full profile information. I'd like to extend the widget so I can choose a widget template "Full Bio", "Photo Only", "Short Bio" and then be able to edit the templates in the Widget Template editor. 

I've found this blog to be somehwhat helpful, but I'd really appreciate if someone at Telerik could expand upon it with some sort of mechanism for multiple templates: www.sitefinity.com/.../making-your-widget-templates-editable-through-the-ui

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2013 00:00

Come on! Someone has surely done something similar?! Telerik?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello Mark,

If you have created your widget and designer already, you can still add several views for your widget designer, which need to inherit the ContentViewDesignerView.

You can have a look at the example in our SDK - the Products module - ProductDesigner.cs. We add the views of the designer manually in the AddViews() method. By adding a new view, it will be available for styling and additional logic, for example choosing different templates.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed