Sitefinity 6.0 - HTML5 upload

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:59

Sitefinity 6.0 - HTML5 upload

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

Does there need to be a setting change in order to switch from Silverlight to the new HTML5 uploader if we are upgrading from 5.4 ?

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello Robert,

All instructions needed for the upgrade path from 5.4 to 6.0 are available in our Documentation. Please take a look at the link below:

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/upgrading-your-sitefinity-5.4-project-to-the-latest-version 

All the best,
Pavel Benov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Pavel,
We followed the above mentioned instructions. I even compared the web.config file of the existing project with a brand new project and they are identical. The new project pulls up the HTML5 uploader, the existing project still pulls up the Silverlight uploader.

Hello Amanda,

After you have successfully upgraded and ran the project in the browser you need to switch to the Html5 uploader by going to Administration->Settings->Advanced->Libraries and write Html5 in the UploadMode field - see image.

All the best,
Pavel Benov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Yes, that changed it. Might I suggest adding this to the upgrade document for others who would like to make the switch as well?

Posted by Community Admin on 01-May-2013 00:00

Ok,

after first test with new Sitefin 6 (fresh install) i notice that the upload part is now complete broken.
No Multi Files Selection ? Ok we go back to Silverlight. There we have a working progress bar and multiselection. Your HTML 5 componet is so bad.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

Can you please let us know the browser which you are using? HTML5 is a modern standard and old browsers IE 8 and older do not support it. This means that in such browsers you will get the behaviour you are experiencing and this is expected - the browser does not support it. So instead of having a feature completely not working there is an automatic fall-back mechanism which lets you use what your browser supports.

So we have you covered in two ways - automatic fall-back and a switch to traditional Silverlight upload (which still requires that you install Silverlight plugin for your browser).

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

Hi Radoslav,
I'm using IE 10.0.9. I was not able to select multiple files from the window selector, but I could click the button to add more files. And had to add them each individually. Not ideal, but it worked.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

i use the  newest Ie 10. So the HTML 5 component you use is not HTML5. It´s only optimize for webkit based Browsers. That´s bullshit. I can do multiupload in Outlook.com without Problems. With Browser. And for me it´s not a Problem to install a Plug in. When i have to install a Special Browser to work fine i think this is a Problem. It´s a big Plug in install i have to do. Please fix all IE Problems. I see a lot of them also in Interface. Use true Standard HTML. And an backfall for old Browsers is a nice idea.

PS: And for me it´s a Problem to klick 50 times "add" when i will upload 50 Images or Videos.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2013 00:00

@TMatt
If you want to torture your users with silverlight, then go right ahead (see attached)...they'll hate you for it, you're the only person that likes it, and have shown time and time again to be CLEARLY biased in favor of the dead plugin.  Nothing like having the page finish loading then waiting for another 10-15 seconds while a loading symbol pops in a single simple control.

Please don't quote IE10 when talking about HTML5...sure, it's better than 7,8,9...but still lags behind ALL OTHERS html5test.com/.../desktop.html.  Feel free to talk to the kendo team about how it's not html5, they made the control demos.kendoui.com/.../index.html sitefinity just uses it.  IE10 has a lower score than versions of firefox WELL over a year old.

Upload is fine for me in IE10 on the latest release, however @Telerik didn't update kendo with this release it seems, thats likely the problem.
demos.kendoui.com/.../index.html

You can go ahead and use a good browser like chrome or firefox if you're having a hard time selecting multiple files, or feel free to be stubborn and click 50 times in IE....or again, re-enable silverlight.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2013 00:00

I am glad Telerik starts to move away from silverlight
a) its a plug-in
b) its probably not going to be much popular in 3 years
c) HTML 5 upload will improve
d) IE 10 is at the moment a fraction so its not effecting to many

I did not try it yet on IE 10 but how is the draging of multiple images. Is that not working as well?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2013 00:00

Pavel Benov 
After you have successfully upgraded and ran the project in the browser you need to switch to the Html5 uploader by going to Administration->Settings->Advanced->Libraries and write Html5 in the UploadMode field - see image.All the best,

Amanda
Yes, that changed it. Might I suggest adding this to the upgrade document for others who would like to make the switch as well?

Dear Pavel
I do agree with Amanda that it would be nice if this was mentioned on the upgrade instructions. I had to remember this thread to know how to change it. Especially since there is not help text what the entries can be (How many times would we have loved to have dropdonwns with the options, checkboxes for true and false. 

How are we ever to know what we can enter in such a field. A yes I rememberd. google it!

Markus

1. 128 posts
    03 Jul 2012
    30 Apr
    Link to this post
    Hello Amanda,

After you have successfully upgraded and ran the project in the browser you need to switch to the Html5 uploader by going to Administration->Settings->Advanced->Libraries and write Html5 in the UploadMode field - see image.

All the best,
    Pavel Benov 
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  2. Amanda Shafer
    Amanda Shafer avatar
    12 posts
    12 Oct 2012
    30 Apr in reply to Pavel Benov
    Link to this post

Hi,

@Markus thank you for the feedback, we will update the upgrade docs. As for the help - there is an in-line text under the textbox which specifies what are the possible values for the entry - Html5 or Silverlight (check Steve's image attachment).

@All, we currently face some problems with instantiating client side templates with MS Ajax and IE 9 and IE10. This is a bug that we have found in the framework scripts and prevented the proper client-side binding of our grids and tree views - pretty much the whole backend. This made us force IE compatibility mode to IE 8. We have prepared a fix for this and will report this bug to ASP.NET so that can be officially fixed in the framework. 

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

@Radoslav

Well it does in english but not in the German translation. So you might want to change that in the upcomming german translation file and tell it to the translater so it will not be removed next time.

(Check my attachment)

Markus

@Radoslav,
  Future plans are to gut msajax client templates though right?... :)

docs.kendoui.com/.../performance

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2013 00:00

@Markus, thanks for pointing this out. I have relayed the information and we will update the language packs.

@Steve this is true. We are gradually moving to KendoUI for the backend. You can see this already in use in several places, Module Builder interface for example.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2013 00:00

Upload of 42 MB .wmv works when using Silverlight but fails using Html5?

Any idea?

@Radoslav

Could you check if the information for updating the language packs was received by the person in charge?

PS: Old issue Checkboxes instead of true/false - dropdowns would be nice and make live a bit less complicated :-)

Asked Steve.
He is the expert with nice HTML. :) And he is also expert with real standards. Is he ?

Yeah god forbid users can load a page quickly and not be confused by a plugin popup...everyone I talk to screams at me that their sites are too indexable by google.  They all want their useres to have to talk to IT to allow installation of silverlight into every browser...then get the elegance of waiting for it to load after the page has already loaded...and they REALLY hate being aboe to do and see things on their mobile devices.  #SilverlightRulz

@Markus: try the docs? docs.kendoui.com/.../troubleshooting

@TMatt
I am with Steve on this

@Steve
Thank's will check it out.The stange thing is that it show the upload bar till the end an complains then.

Markus

Make sense to use heavy java sript instead. Make sense. Nice It guys which allows this :)

Yes yes, heavy inefficient javascript which can only do things like...I don't know...be a webserver http://nodejs.org/

Markus use fiddler and firebug to see whats up too

This thread is closed