Make Homepage display full file name in URL

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:57

Make Homepage display full file name in URL

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

We used to use SiteFinity version 3.7.  Our home page showed up with the full file name, i.e. www.site.com/sfsite/home.aspx  Now in SiteFinity 5.3.3900, after we set any page to be the Homepage the file name doesn't display in the URL, i.e. www.site.com/sfsite/.  I want to maintain what we had before for SEO reasons if at all possible, plus all other pages in our site show up as /sfsite/filename.aspx so I'd like things to be consistent.

Is there a way to make this happen?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Alex,

You should be able to go to the "Title and Properties" for the pages and change the URL to whatever you want it to be.* Additionally, you have the ability to allow multiple URLs for the pages (and content items) on your site.

* Disclaimer: "whatever you want it to be" must be a valid URL. :)

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Tim,

I see where I can set the URL and add additional URLs.  But that's not what I'm looking to do.  I can manually go to www.site.com/sfsite/home.aspx and the full URL (with file name) displays in the address bar.  but when I enter in www.site.com/sfsite/ the home.aspx doesn't show up.  Is there a way to get that to show in the address bar under these circumstances?

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2013 00:00

Hello guys,

Alex, I might be misunderstanding your requirement, but please check this video, where I'm demonstrating how you can access the home page by its full url, and by going to the domain name without the urlName segment. Is this what you can't achieve?

All the best,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Jen,

We're not on the same page.  I can type both www.site.com/sfsite/home.aspx and www.site.com/sfsite/ into my address bar and see the same content (so I know the same page is being displayed.  However, I want the URL to always show www.site.com/sfsite/home.aspx.  So if an end user types www.site.com/sfsite/, I want their address bar to display www.site.com/sfsite/home.aspx.  We want to ensure that search engines don't track www.site.com/sfsite/home.aspx and www.site.com/sfsite/ seperately, thus splitting our traffic between two "pages" in the statistics.

SiteFinity 3.7.2096 used to work the way I want SiteFinity 5.3.3900 to work (or have an option for).  Take a look at this URL: http://www.greenbeacon.com/GreenBeaconWebsite/

Any other thoughts?

-Alex

Alex,

There's an option, below the text area for multiple URLs, that says "All additional URLs redirect to the default one:". You could probably change the default URL of the page to be "home.aspx", put "~/home" in the additional URLs area then check the redirect box.

Tim,

Good thought.  I was hopeful.  But it doesn't work.  I still have the same results as before.  I set "~/" as the additional URL and ensured that "All additional URLs redirect to the default one:" was enabled.  It seems like there's something special about making a page the Home Page in Sitefinity that makes it so that Sitefinity doesn't display the page name for the Home page when accessed using the form www.site.com/sfsite/ (or I would assume www.site.com if SiteFinity is set as a subsite).

This thread is closed