Enable Webmaster Tool

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:31

Enable Webmaster Tool

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello,

I have just started using Sitefinity and I am not  tech savy at all.

I need to use Google Analytics and I am trying to enable the webmaster tool to check my traffic source. I need to upload a HTML code into my website, so that Google will be able to verify the website. I was told that this can be done through the content management system, could you explain how?

Thanks in advance, I really hope you can help me sort this out

Giulia

Giulia,

You should be able to upload the file by going to Administration -> File manager. There's an "upload" button in the toolbar.

Thanks Tim,

I have tried uploading the file there already, however when I try to verify i I get this message "We weren't able to verify your site". I even tried to upload it in different folders but it still won'work.. 

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot

Giulia

Giulia,

Google will be looking for the file off the root of your site. For example:

example.com/googleabcdefghijkl12345.html

Also, make sure to re-verify after you move the file...I don't think it will do it automatically.

I am sorry, but I am still struggling to understand how to do it (I am really bad with computing..)

This is what Google requires me to do:

1.Download this HTML verification file.
2.Upload the file to http://www.parkhouse-hc.com/
3. Confirm successful upload by visiting www.parkhousehc.com/googlebb8ab2880ca0d8c0.html in your browser.
4. Click Verify below.To stay verified, don't remove the HTML file, even after verification succeeds.

What I did was downloading the HTML verification file, uploading it into the file management of the CMS, then click on the link provided by Google (step 3). Finally I clicked on verify but it said it was not successful..

What did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot for your support

Posted by Community Admin on 01-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

Fist let me inform you that in steps 2 and 3 you have typed different website URLs.
In step two you mention http://www.parkhouse-hc.com which seems to be a valid website while in step 3 you typed or copy pasted wrong URL: http://www.parkhousehc.com.
My guess would be that the Google verification page should be at http://www.parkhouse-hc.com/googlebb8ab2880ca0d8c0.html which doesn't seem to be the case. When you navigate to this URL you get "page not found" which means that Google can't verify that you are the owner of the site. My guess would be that you have uploaded the "googlebb8ab2880ca0d8c0.html" file somewhere other than the root of your website. If you have uploaded it correctly to the root of your website and you can see the page but the verification is still failing my next guess will be that the page is visible for authenticated users only. Verify that while logged off your are still able to see the page at the required location by Google.

Regards,
Momchil Mitev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Momchil,

thanks a lot for your useful response. I know I am asking a lot, but how can I know which is the root of my website?

Thank you very much

Giulia

Giulia,

The root of your site is going to be the place where you can also find files like 'web.config', 'Global.asax' and 'Default.aspx'. Also, you'll probably be able to see folders like 'App_Data', 'App_Master' and 'Sitefinity'. Drop the file in there and you should be good.

I uploaded the file but it still doesn't work.. I will try to get some help from the the marketing agency we work with.

Thanks a lot for you time and support!

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

Hello,

We may be able to help you further if you describe, copy paste or give us a screen shot of what you see on this url: http://www.parkhouse-hc.com/googlebb8ab2880ca0d8c0.html, what do you see is in the root of your website at Administration -> File manager.  and also give us the exact instruction from Google. It is also possible that you have done everything right in terms of the Google verification file location itself but there are some IIS (the service hosting your site ) settings that are preventing this html page from being accessed. In this case you will need help from your hosting administrators. All you need to tell them is that you have an html page (the "googlebb8ab2880ca0d8c0.html" file) in the root of your website that needs to be publicly accessible.

Greetings,
Momchil Mitev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed