Upgraded SF5.1 to latest now won't start on staging serv

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:06

Upgraded SF5.1 to latest now won't start on staging server

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2013 00:00

I recently upgraded my project from 5.1 to 5.2 and finally to 5.4 following the upgrade docs. The project runs fine from Visual Studio but when I deploy the files to our staging server it says "The system is restarting..." and never actually starts up. I deployed all files except for App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration. I downloaded the 5.4 license file. I also checked the logs but didn't see anything. I moved them to a different location to see if a new log would be generated but it isn't.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

Configuration files under App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration keep specific data about the project like database connection, project version, previous and latest versions, settings modifications. Is there a reason why you haven't deployed the configuration files to your staging? I suppose that this might be the problem since the project works when you run in through Visual Studio web server.

"The system is restarting..." is showing if you request the website before  initialization and registration of types through IoC framework which happens inside Bootstrapper class. There we get and read the data from you configuration files and then register all routes needed for the website to run.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

My 5.1 project was on our staging server and working prior to deploying the upgraded 5.4 files. The upgrade doc specifically says "Package the upgraded website without the configuration files from ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration."

I've performed several upgrades since starting with SF4.4. I have always followed the upgrade doc from the Installation and Administration Guide but have not experienced this.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2013 00:00

Hello,

Have you tried to run the website locally using IIS and then check for errors in the log? Are there error thrown in the log during the upgrades? As for the upgrade, if you replace the dlls only and web.config changes this will make an upgrade to the configuration files and the database and that's fine, but this should be done locally and then the database and project files should go to production machine.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2013 00:00

Yes, I tried running the website from IIS on the staging server and it does the same thing. No errors in the log. The upgrade was performed on my desktop machine and the files copied to the staging server. No errors during the upgrade.

Regarding your instructions for the upgrade, that is not what the SF upgrade document says to do. I am performing a merge, not replace. I need to keep my database. It says to copy of all files EXCEPT those in the Configuration folder to the server and restart. That's it.

If you want to merge the locally upgraded website with the production website without replacing the database, perform the following:

Package the upgraded website without the configuration files from ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration.
    Do not include the locally upgraded database.
    Upload the upgraded package and merge it with your production website files.
    Restart the website.
    This triggers the upgrade process of your production database.
    Browse the backend and the frontend of your local project and ensure that everything is working fine.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2013 00:00

I need to promote some key enhancements as well as this upgrade to 5.4 to our production server but can't until this is resolved.

Can someone please work with me to get this resolved? I moved the error log to another location and it's not even generating a new one so how can I pin point the problem without an error?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2013 00:00

I thought maybe the issue in this post had reoccurred during this upgrade so I checked ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/ContentViewConfig.config for <config:lazy and sure enough there were 2 entries that weren't there before the 5.4 upgrade so I removed them.

Unfortunately this did not solve the problem...

This thread is closed