6.1 image thumbs - image names

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 09:04

6.1 image thumbs - image names

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2013 00:00

This has been bothering me since 4.0 I guess.

When you upload 10 images of a Ford GT for example

dsc_001.jpg
dsc_002.jpg
dsc_003.jpg

And start to give the images titles (names) you have to watch out to make every url unique MANUALLY!

Because the Title gets to be the URL of the  image. Now if you start naming the images Ford GT you will end up with then images looking the same.

This is so hard to tell the clients every time that they have to watch out Uploading 10 images with same title makes you edit every url manually ford-gt_001, ford-gt_002, ford-gt_003 for example

And once you come back a week later you of course have no clue which what number you stopped.

Ways to solve this

a) client leves the titles untouched :-(
b) manually chaning - pain in the neck and source of error
c) give the imags the GUID as url by default and let the client change it if they want.

I know 6.1 is on its way and this is never going to make it to it. But I just want to reminde you what a problem this is for end users.

Markus

PS: Telerik please try this. Upload a bunch of images from your team and start giving them titles. To make things even worse have it like me in a site with 5 languages. You need to copy every image into the language and change every url again. To say the least this is a pain in the neck!

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

I can understand your predicament, however I believe you will agree that saving the image's GUID as urlName might confuse the users, so that is why we have chosen the approach to assign the image title as its urlName by default. If you want to change that you will need to modify the AnyContentApprovalWorkflow and create a custom ExecuteCodeActivity. Here is how you can override the Execute method for example:

protected override void Execute(CodeActivityContext context)

var dataContext = context.DataContext;
            var masterFluent = dataContext.GetProperties()["masterFluent"].GetValue(dataContext) as AnyDraftFacade; 

masterFluent.Get().UrlName = masterFluent.Get().Id.ToString();
            masterFluent.SaveChanges();   

masterFluent.Get() will return the current item that is being processed. Note to check if the item is an image on your end.

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Pavel

Watch and tell me how confused the user might be when he does this - He/she will not be able to recover from this

www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_ford_gt_example.swf

In real live userd don't care about the URL at all. Why would they? But they care about title names. So once again

100 % care about title of image
20% care about url (max)

Sitefintiy is simply the best CMS but every time I show the CMS to a client I have

a) to explain that they have to change the URL if they want to give same titles
b) make sure they remember it 
c) make sure new content providers know about it
d) fix it when they mess up

Markus

@markus
1) Shouldn't be posting beta\preview stuff on a public forum, I believe that's against the TOS
2) Guid on the end means nothing to anyone when you want to do is differentiate it...it just becomes obnoxious and is just bad SEO.  Not to mention giving away your Guids to anyone looking for them.  Could put -2 or -3, etc on the end instead.

@Pavel
This is a bug on your end, it shouldn't be possible to have duplicate UrlNames on a content item, at least in the same folder.  Should be possible to have the same titles, but in SF UrlName is unique like a readable unique ID.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jul-2013 00:00

@Steve

I can see your GUID point. Any idea how Telerik could approach this?

Markus

This thread is closed