Super Slow Load Times

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:22

Super Slow Load Times

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jul-2013 00:00

We've got the  'Soooooooo slow' issue. I've seen some old threads on the slowness back to Sitefinity 4. We're running Sitefinity 6 with IIS7 I believe. Getting some crazy slow load times -- Regular 60s load times and 27s is the average!! That is terrible!

Our previous (Coldfusion) CMS was like 1-3s. So this is drastically slower and super disappointing. Our sites might look good but nobody cares when they can't get the site to load in a decent amount of time. Our site(s) is www.daviscountyutah.gov:8080/.../ and www.daviscountyutah.gov:8080/.../. 

What can we do to speed things up?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jul-2013 00:00

Hi Richard,

I've opened the website you mentioned in your post. To me they don't seem very slow? Of course it can be faster, but it's not like I don't want to stay on your sites because of performance.

I noticed on the 2nd site that there is a problem loading jQuery and you have some big .png files that might cause troubles with slower connections.
The YSlow score is C, due to not using GZIP, but the statistics show that the cached version of your site loads only a 130kb over the wire, so that is pretty good. First time load however is over 2MB which is okay, but like I said on slower connection it could take a while.

Other than that: I assume you have put the site in Release mode and you are doing some application warm-up on IIS? Also pre-compilation might help. Maybe caching is still off? Just some thoughts.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Dear Richard

Here is what I get from Switzerland many miles away

www marktold.com/screencast/sf_speed_daviscountyutah.swf 
Make sure your site is warm all the time. I use a service to track if my sites are up - side effect is that it does keep the site warm :-) Initial start is slow on SF. Of course combining CSS helps and minifing them in the same process WebsiteTemplates/EventsCenter/App_Themes/Fair/global/main.css is 95 KB? I am sure that you can squize out at least 50kb of the css and reducing the host lookups. I recently started using subdomains myresoures.mydomain.com to have my staticcontent delivered cookieless. As Daniel said Yslow gives you a good starting point in optimizing a site.

10 years back we would take every single image into PS to optimize it the best possible way. Nowaday everybody think we have braodband. 50 times 5kb save is still 1/4 MB

Most importand - Keep your site warm, and use caching. Make sure you have enough RAM so the App Pool will not recycle

Markus

Dear Richard

Here is what I get from Switzerland many miles away

www marktold.com/screencast/sf_speed_daviscountyutah.swf 

Markus

Invalid post content - I try to figure out what the forum does not like :-

Make sure your site is warm all the time. I use a service to track if my
sites are up - side effect is that it does keep the site warm :-)
Initial start is slow on SF. Of course combining CSS helps and minifing
them in the same
process WebsiteTemplates/EventsCenter/App_Themes/Fair/global/main.css
is 95 KB? I am sure that you can squize out at least 50kb of the css and
reducing the host lookups. I recently started using subdomains
myresoures.mydomain.com to have my staticcontent delivered cookieless.
As Daniel said Yslow gives you a good starting point in optimizing a
site.

10 years back we would take every single image into PS to optimize it
the best possible way. Nowaday everybody think we have
braodband. 50 times 5kb save is still 1/4 MB

Most importand - Keep your site warm, and use caching. Make sure you have enough RAM so the App Pool will not recycle

Invalid post content - I try to figure out what the forum does not like :-

Make sure your site is warm all the time. I use a service to track if my
sites are up - side effect is that it does keep the site warm :-)
Initial start is slow on SF. Of course combining CSS helps and minifing
them in the same
process WebsiteTemplates/EventsCenter/App_Themes/Fair/global/main.css
is 95 KB?

Markus

nvalid post content - I try to figure out what the forum does not like :-

I am sure that you can squize out at least 50kb of the css and reducing the host lookups. I recently started using subdomains myresoures.mydomain.com to have my staticcontent delivered cookieless.

As Daniel said Yslow gives you a good starting point in optimizing a site.

10 years back we would take every single image into PS to optimize it the best possible way. Nowaday everybody think we have braodband.
50 times 5kb save is still 1/4 MB

Markus

Also, don't forget viewstate...you have 126.5kb gzipped html...responds and is available in 88ms.  However like 80% of your markup is viewstate...

If you could kill that (why is viewstate needed on the site?) then your pages will come down way faster.  If you can't kill it you can always try to persist it to the DB or compress it.

I use this sucessfully in SF
http://wao.mono-software.com/
...on an old asp.net beefy viewstate app, just puts the entire viewstate into our db, doesn't need to live on the page.

Serverside tips:
- Run the app pool in 32bit mode (per MS, runs faster and uses less ram than 64bit)...
- Be sure to not be running in debug mode
- In the SF web config swap to run in asp.net 4.5 (faster pipeline)

...I also find that on the server if I change the w3wp process to run in "high" everything runs way better...never ever had an issue (set it to realtime and you'll have issues though)

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jul-2013 00:00

Perhaps your database indexes are a bit fragmented.
Use the script sin this article to first check and second to rebuild.
www.sitefinity.com/.../sitefinity-database-maintenance

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2013 00:00

Hi Richard,
Check out these results from webpagetest.org:
www.webpagetest.org/.../
www.webpagetest.org/.../

Looks like something is holding up the first response. That looks like the major issue, hopefully it's not too hard to figure out. I'm thinking maybe either the server needs to be kept alive, the databases are fragmented like Darrin said, or there is a problem with the communication between the web server and the database.

Along with some of the previous suggestions, it looks like you could benefit from using a script manager to reduce the number of script files being called and you should compress your images for the web.

This thread is closed