6.1 Modules enabled by default

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:31

6.1 Modules enabled by default

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2013 00:00

I vote once again that the Migration Tool is disabled by default on new apps.

a) 90% are fresh installations not needing this
b) on the other 10% the developer should have enough knowledge to know he/she has to enable it.

DAM, Thunder, Cloud Service might not be as clear but could be consiedered to be turned of by default.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

By design all the features which are included in the particular version are enabled in order to demonstrate that they are available to use. After every installation of new project you can disable every feature with few clicks.

Since we have a lot of clients that are still using the Sitefinity 3.x product versions, we want to raise the awareness of the migration module, so they can plan their actions accordingly, related to the upcoming 3.x support termination at the end of the year.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Nov-2013 00:00

When I develop software for others, I always ask the following question when considering an enhancement request: if I spend 1 hour building this enhancement, how much time of my users' collective time am I saving in 1 month? Sometimes I can spend 1 hour of my time and save a 5 or more users' hours in a month. If so, the enhancement increases efficiency and is worth considering.

This is one of those enhancement ideas. Sitefinity is used by dozens of companies out there. If you make a change like we're requesting here, you could save lots of your users' time and frustration.

As a compromise, could you guys offer the user a choice (enabled by default) whether to enable all modules during the upgrade process? Or perhaps you enable all modules only when upgrading from one major release to another (ex: from 5.x to 6.x)?

There's got to be some middle ground here. Forcing the modules on each time we upgrade is excessive.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Nov-2013 00:00

Good point Vince.

Same goes for dozen of KB articles and work around which you 

a) have to do on every project
b) have to remember they exist
c) find them again

So yes I would love to have Telerik working on small details which would save hundred of hours for the customers in a years.

Markus

This thread is closed