Import HTML files into Sitefinity?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:19

Import HTML files into Sitefinity?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi there,
I got a request from user to post a HTML format document which includes a number of HTML files and CSS and Images folders. Is it possible to post this kind of document on Sitefinity?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

You have a couple of options here.

1. Copy the files to your root file location
    You can copy the files to the root location where your Sitefinity files are located.  You can do this in one of two ways.  You can either FTP them to the same location your Sitefinity files are located or you can File Manager built into Sitefinity.  To access the file manager in Sitefinity just go to Administration > Tools > File Manager.  **Important: If you want to copy files to the root of your site you need to give Network Service Read/Write access to this location.
  2. Upload the HTML files to a Sitefinity Document Library
    You can upload the files to a document library in Sitefinity as well.  The only problem with this route is that you will need to upload each file individually and ensure you keep the same folder structure. 
  3. Convert he pages to actual Sitefinity pages
    Of all the possible options, I would go this route if there is no need to keep the files in physical file format.  Why else would you be using a CMS that could literally help you create the pages for you.

Overall, I would choose option #1 if you really had to keep the files themselves in tact, otherwise I would opt for option #3 and convert them to Sitefinity pages.  Hope this helps.

Craig

Hi Craig,
Thanks so much! A couple of further questions. What exactly the root folder is? eg. C:\program files\Telerik\Sitefinity5.3 ? or ...Telerik\Sitefinity5.3\Projects\Default\App_data\Storage\FileSystem?
Another question is what URL will be used to access the pages by Internet users? www.example.com\folder(created under root)\index.html?
There's navigations in the html doc so it is not ease to convert to SF pages. So I think I need to go with option 1.

Thanks again.

Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Michael,

In your case "root" is likely the "Default" folder. It should have the app_data, sitefinity, bin, lib, etc folders in them.

Regards,
Patrick Dunn
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Dec-2013 00:00

HI 
I didn't see the answer to this question above - 

Another question is what URL will be used to access the pages by Internet users? www.example.com\folder(created under root)\index.html? 

I have created a new folder in my files directory. I individually uploaded each file into the folder (.jpg, .png, .html, .js, .css), but i can't figure out the url to view the index.html file. 

can you provide any guidance?
thank you
Laura

Another question is what URL will be used to access the pages by Internet users?
www.example.com\folder(created under root)\index.html?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2013 00:00

Hello Laura,

Thank you for contacting us.

You can see how this can be done in this article:
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/designer-s-guide/page-templates/creating-a-template-using-master-pages

Following the instructions in the article you can transform your index.html into a master page to be used as a custom template (index.master). Then you can create a page in which for a template you can use your index.master: 
Backend > Pages > Create a page
There in the section Template you select "Select another template" > "Use your own .master file"

This way your page will be visible as any other page of your Sitefinity project.

Regards,
Simeon Simeonov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your post. Could you help further by advising further regarding Option 1?

After copying HTML files into root folder, what URL should be used for public users to access those HTML files through the website?

I'm still experiencing this challenge and hope you or someone can help.  It seems I'm not the only one experience this challenge.

Thanks,

Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello Michael, 

I tested your scenario by adding custom html file inside a folder named “CustomPages” . This folder should be placed on the root level of your project – where is the web.config file. Then you can access it through the url similar to the following:

http://[My site]/CustomPages/pageFile.html

If this doesn’t work in your scenario please make sure that you don’t have any limitation of the allowed file extensions in your IIS. Please have in mind that we handle in a special way request coming from folders with a certain names (like “Sitefinity”, “Images”, etc) so this could restrict you for accessing your files.

Regards,
Elena Ganeva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks Elena.

I tested but it didn't work out. Got the following error:

Server Error 
  404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Other than copying the HTML files into the folder created in the root folder, anything else should be done? Anything needs to be configured in IIS or Sitefinity for this?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Elena,

I figured it out the reason that caused that error.

I was uploading the files at OS level instead of through Sitefinity.  When I tried uploading files through Sitefinity, it worked well.

A little bit inconvenient with Sitefinity uploading because I had to select each file one by one.  But it is okay as long as it works.

Thanks again!

Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi,

I am glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

Regards,
Elena Ganeva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed