Compatibility of modules between versions??

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:59

Compatibility of modules between versions??

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Sep-2013 00:00

I've just started using Sitefinity for several intranet sites. I am looking thru the marketplace and seeing a number of different modules. Most of them have compatibility shown as 4.1 or 5.x but I am using 6.x 
What are the general rules with using modules with newer versions? Can I use something that shows compatibility with 4.x in a 6.x environment? 
The module that I am particularly interested in is Form submission email notification. (Maybe 6 has this built in now?
www.sitefinity.com/.../forms-module-notification 

Thanks

John

I'm gonna go ahead and say MOST of the marketplace bits should be cross version, you just need assembly binding in your webconfig.

http://www.sitefinitysteve.com/articles/how-to/lists/how-to/avoid-version-errors-with-assembly-binding

The only cases in which they'd fail are if like a control is using a feature or API call that's not available in an older version, stuff like that.

...you can only test though

I know I've had to make MINIMAL (if any) changes on my marketplace controls.  Has been stable since about 5.0.

If you're on 6 you should already have forms notifications.  It's not like that widget...but kinda the same idea....and there's certainly nothing stopping you from using that control idea to send email still.

You mentioned that I might already have it? Are you referring to something other then going through the whole "subscribe the currently logged in user to a form process"?

I am hoping to have forms set up by an administrator with the results submitted to people the administrator assigns to receive the results. Those people most likely will not have a log in or account on the site.

Thanks

This thread is closed