Support for non-smart devices

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:19

Support for non-smart devices

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello, 
We’re developing a web site with Sitefinity and we want the site works on mobile devices. I’ve read the mobile documentation on Sitefinity’s site, but it always talks about “latest mobile browser” and “smart phones” and “tablets”. However, I want people with non-smart devices can access to my site. Here are the questions:

• What kind of compatibility with mobile browsers is provided by Sitefinity? It is limited to smart devices?
  • What mobile browsers and what versions are supported by Sitefinity?
  • Do Content Block widget and Navigation widget work on non-smart devices? In other words… do those widgets use advanced javascript and CSS features?
  • How can we detect the device that sends the HTTP request ? Does Sitefinity have any mechanism to do that? Is it extensible?
Thank you in advance
Best regards,
Ariel

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Ariel,

Thank you for contacting our support.

Sitefinity relies on a technique for creating web pages that dynamically adapt to any form factor called Responsive design. At it’s core, responsive design relies on a CSS3. Therefore every browser that covers CCS is supported by Sitefinity. It is said that about 80% of today's devices support this responsive design. All dominant mobile browsers on their platform like Android, iPhone, WP8, Blackberry, Opera, etc., also support this.
Sitefinity does not support mobile browser detection out-of-the-box. However you can inspect a server variable from the HTTP request to detect this. See this example for more information:
www.codeproject.com/.../Detecting-a-mobile-browser-in-ASP-NET

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Yavor Slavchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed