Error after 6.1 Upgrade

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:43

Error after 6.1 Upgrade

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2013 00:00

After upgrade to 6.1, the application is still referencing v 5.3 of the Sitefinity dll.  The dll I have on my machine is 6.1

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.3.3900.0

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi John,

It looks like your project is still referencing an older version of Sitefinity. But it can also mean that you use e.g. a custom widget you've downloaded from the marketplace that was build with a previous version.

Some things to check:

1. Check if ALL references of your project are pointing to the latest Sitefinity version
  2. Check if you are using 3rd party widgets, modules etc. that might have been build against previous versions.
  3. Make sure that there are no other assembly references in your code or XML files. (especially .config files)
  4. Check the log files for any error messages related to this problem.

If you need more help, just let me know.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Thanks for the reply.  I have checked all the references and they are referencing 6.1 versions of all SiteFinity.  We do not have any 3rd party widgets and I searched the web.config file for "5.3" and dont see it anywhere.

Hey John,

Did you also checked the .config files under ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration?s
It should be some assembly that references the old SF instance.

Do you have created your own widgets or helper methods inside a separate project? Sometimes you need to delete the directories under the /bin folders and/or rebuild those projects.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Ok, wow.  I just looked in that folder.  Thats allot of config files and several of them still reference 5.3.3900.0.  Can I just manually change the version in each file to the 6.1.4600.0?

Yeah, just rename those to e.g. 6.1.4700.0. (depending on the version you are using)
That should be okay.

Kind regards,
Daniel

@John,

Better is to remove the version="" tag completely, this will force Sitefinity to re-initiate those modules.

If they're still saying 5.3.3900 it means your upgrade hasn't gone smooth. 'Faking it' will only lead to problems you're just not seeing right now, the dll-reference's is just the obvious one for now.

Have you enabled/activated all modules prior to upgrading?
Also, since you're seeing '5.3.3900' it probably means you've tried a direct upgrade approach which isn't supported. From 5.3 you need to go to 6.0 first, once that works upgrade to 6.1

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade

Jochem.

@Jochem:

Better is to remove the version="" tag completely, this will force Sitefinity to re-initiate those modules.
- That would not change the .config files. You need to do this manually. It will only reinitialize the module and add the right version attribute again.

Have you enabled/activated all modules prior to upgrading?
- That probably won't work, since you can't access Sitefinity anymore, because of the error ;)

-Daniel

I've gotten the site to load up now, but it says our license has expired.  We have another group that takes of that, so I will leave it in their hands for now.

I think I will go back to 5.3 and then upgrade to 6.0 then to 6.1.  When I got pulled into this project, they were trying to go from 5.3 to 6.1 with no 6.0 in the middle.

@Daniel,

You should never manually upgrade the numbers in the .config files, but removing them and letting Sitefinity re-initiate them is the desired behavior. Re-initialization is apparently needed cause they're still on 5.3 where other parts are on 6.1 already.

I merely pointed it out cause 'tweaking' the version numbers itself is gonna cause more damage once the dll conflict is resolved. 

---
Enabling modules can be done by the admin interface  but it is also done in the SystemConfig.Config file. You'll find something like this:

<add version="6.1.4300.0" name="MobileAppBuilder" />
<add startupType="Disabled" name="SharepointConnector" />
<add version="6.1.4300.0" name="EverliveConnector" />

Removing the startupType="Disabled" will 'enable' a module and should be done prior to every upgrade otherwise it won't update that module.

---
John could also try an add an assemblyredirect in his web.config by doing something like this:
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Telerik.Sitefinity" publicKeyToken="b28c218413bdf563" culture="neutral" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-6.1.4700.0" newVersion="0.0.0.0-6.1.4700.0" />
  </dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>

If he was sure the reference was caused by an external .dll or something but in this case John's probably better off starting clean from 5.3 again and doing the two step upgrades from start again.

Jochem.

Thanks for all the replies.  let me ask you this...At what point does the database get "upgraded", so far I have not logged back into the dashboard because of the licensing issue.  Isnt that when the database upgrade takes place?  Right now we can restore the site back to 5.3 and start over if the database hasnt been changed.

@Jochem: I think we talk about different version tags here. Anyway, it is not that problematic to change.

@ john: If you can start over, do it. Make sure you follow the upgrade path. 5.3 to 6.1 will not work.

@Daniel yes perhaps I read it wrong, doesn't matter

@John, on application start - first time login isn't the trigger moment so you're probably to late already if some of those .config files version numbers are already on 6.1.4700...

Hi John,

If you're doing a new upgrade, be sure to go from 5.3 >> 6.0 >> 6.1.
You need the 6.0 version to execute some important updates, especially when you are using Ecommerce.

Not sure if you read it, but here's the documentation topic for that:
www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade

If you need any help on this, let me know. We can do an online call or something to talk you through, if needed.

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2013 00:00

How do we upgrade to 6.0?  The installer package from telerik downloads v.6.1 during the install.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2013 00:00

Hey John,

On the right side of the download page there was a small button 'Download installer and other resources' then a new button called 'older versions'  or here's the direct link :)

www.telerik.com/.../olderversions.aspx

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2013 00:00

Ok guys a week later and we finally got access to the 6.0 version of SiteFinity.  Did the upgrade from 5.3 to 6.0, point by point and the exact same thing happened again.  Permissions on config files were screwed up and now the "Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.3.3900.0".  I have updated all the config files located in "~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration" folder to reflect the new version, but it still says: "Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.3.3900.0"

Any ideas?  

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2013 00:00

Hey John,

1. Create a 5.3 sql bak.
2. Zip up the unupgraded project folder. 
3. Surf to http://www.wetransfer.com/ and upload everything.
4. Send a copy over to jbokkers [at] live.nl and take tomorrow off.

Normally I'd not say that but after a week of messing around I think its time we stepped up community support :)

Jochem

This thread is closed