Default "Search" text Label

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:09

Default "Search" text Label

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2013 00:00

The OOTB Search Widget provides a Search box and the label "Search".  I have attempted to figure out a way to change the text of the label and have been unsuccessful.  Has anyone done this?  I do not need to change the label "Search", but I do need to have the text "Search" translated to the other languages.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2013 00:00

Hey Jared,

Login to the Sitefinity backend, go to Administration >> Labels & Messages.
Then in the new screen in the search box type "search" hit enter, scroll down the page and spot on the right side the "search and indexes".

Now if you scroll back up, you'll see a few results. Find the one marked "Used in: SearchResources, Resource key: Search" Click on it to change it, in the screenshot attached you'll see I've changed it from 'Search' to 'Seaarch'.

It'll only be translated to other languages, if Sitefinity's configured with multiple languages. And if you've imported the various language packs you need, the label will have the various localized values already loaded.

If your pages are already localized and language packs are already loaded but you're still seeing only the English label, it's likely because of a 'bug' that you probably have your templates all set to the default invariant language still. Once you create localized templates, the labels will be localized.

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Oct-2013 00:00

Thank you Jochem.  This worked perfectly.  Now the issue is getting these translated.  Obviously I know we can put the translation in manually, but you mentioned that if pages are localized and language packs are loaded, the labels should translate themselves.  We do have Localization turned on and to my knowledge have the language packs uploaded.  Attached is what I see in the label.  None of the translations are present.  Does this need done manually?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Oct-2013 00:00

Hey Jared,

Just to be 100% clear, you don't need to upload the language packs, you need to import them.

Say for the German language, you go here to download it:
www.sitefinity.com/.../german-language-pack-

And extract the .zip file, which creates a languagepack.xlsx

Log into Sitefinity's Backend, Go to administration >> Interface Labels and Messages, click on Import language pack and then select a language and browse and the excel file just extracted.

Normally the labels should be instantly available in the new language, but if it doesn't a log out/in  or app-recycle usually kicks it in.

---
You should have a localized value in your SearchLabel then, if not - then there's a mis configuration somewhere and perhaps you can post the ResourcesConfig.config file (/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration folder) so we can see what's going on there?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2013 00:00

We have noticed a few things in creating translations for these labels.  When the translation is created for the first time, a resource file is added to the server for each label and each translation.  We have had issues modifying the translations once they are created.  We are running Sitefinity in Azure and we thing that Azure allows the files to be created, but not modified or overwritten.  Anyone have any experience creating label translations while using Sitefinity in Azure?

This thread is closed