Error Help: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sit

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:09

Error Help: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.3.3900.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Oct-2013 00:00

Hey guys, 

We are still getting the following error, but its just when we try to post something to the web through sitefinity.  I have searched the entire site using Visual Studio search tools for a reference to 5.3, but cannot find one anywhere.  Do you have any ideas where I can look.

Thanks

Could
not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.3.3900.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies.
The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly
reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Hey John,

As said earlier in this thread: www.sitefinity.com/.../error-after-6-1-upgrade-29eacf8e194f

Have you tried setting an assembly binding in your web.config to this:

<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Telerik.Sitefinity" publicKeyToken="b28c218413bdf563" culture="neutral" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-6.1.4700.0" newVersion="0.0.0.0-6.1.4700.0" />
  </dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>

Jochem

Hello,

i just tried that it didnt help.  It happens when we tried to "edit" anything.  Below is the URL that the site is trying to resolve

Sitefinity/Content/News#event=showWindow&winId=newsCntView_newsBackendList_ctl00_ctl00_itemsGrid_ctl00_ctl00_edit&autoMax=false

The entire error code is below.  Thanks

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.3.3900.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetType(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, ObjectHandleOnStack type) +0
System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +73
Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities.TypeConverters.TypeResolutionService.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +1133
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadCollectionElement(ConfigElementCollection collection, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo) +1012
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +323
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadPropertyElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo) +545
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +355
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadCollectionElement(ConfigElementCollection collection, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo) +1138
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +323
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadPropertyElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo) +545
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +355
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(String relativeFilePath, Func`2 elementFactory, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isDefault) +262
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.<>c__DisplayClass14.<LoadCollectionElement>b__d() +101
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Unload>b__0() +24
System.Lazy`1.CreateValue() +455
System.Lazy`1.get_Value() +14443978
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElementLazyItem`1.get_Element() +100
Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElementDictionary`2.TryGetValueInternal(TKey key, TElement& element) +69
Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.DetermineCurrentViewName() +275
Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.CreateChildControls() +92
System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +189
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +60
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4297

Hey John,

Did the upgrade go properly or did you "updated all the config files located in '~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration' folder to reflect the new version" as you suggested in the previous thread?

Cause by the looks of it, the upgrade didn't go properly. By fixing the numbers, the internal upgrade system is just side-stepped...

Sorry, I know this is all just a repeat of the previous thread but these are the normal steps...

The systemconfig.config files number should only be removed in case of upgrade trouble and the other .config files should be left alone.  The assembly binding's a trick if you have a custom dll, say some 3rd party widget, that's not been updated specifically for this version of Sitefinity.

Have you put in a support ticket with Sitefinity? They try to be as active as they can on the forums, but if you've bought a license you should have a support option. Otherwise feel free to contact me or Daniel as he previously suggested.

Jochem

Well the upgrade went fine.  I mean it did what it was supposed to do and didnt report any errors.  It was only when we tried to access the site after the upgrade that we got the version errors.  But if I go back to the backed up version at 5.3 and run the upgrade again, its going to do the same thing which we thought was a clean upgrade.  There were no errors.  

If your .config files reference 5.3.3900 still the upgrades didn't go fine.
You need to upgrade to 6.0 first, after which they should have 6.0.4100 as a version number.
After that, you can upgrade to 6.1 and they should bump up to 6.1.4300 or 6.1.4700.

Did you do step 10 after the 6.0 upgrade?

Restart your Sitefinity website and run it.
Sitefinity automatically performs a database upgrade from the database scheme used in the previous version to the one use in the new version. Information about the Sitefinity version is stored both in the database and in the configuration files. At any time the configuration files must match your database scheme. IMPORTANT: You must not manually change the Sitefinity version numbers stored in your configuration files.

Somewhere between the 5.3>6.0 upgrade something goes haywire, and the second upgrade to 6.1 basically becomes useless...

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2013 00:00

Well this is exactly why we are loosing faith in SiteFinity as a solution for us.  When we run the upgrade from 5.3>6.0 the upgrade says everthing goes fine.  Then when we restart the website (step 10) that is when we start getting the errors.  So I suppose that means, "things didnt go well".  But there is nothing that we could have done differently.  We followed the upgrade instructions word for word (twice now) and still get the errors.  We will try again.

Hey John,

I can understand how frustrating it is, especially when repeating the same steps over and over and hope for a different result. I'm going to spam one more suggestion and leave the offer open to give me a call on Skype or toss the project over..

On your (backed-up) 5.3.3900 project try the following:
1. Open SystemConfig.config and with with all the <applicationModules> remove the version="..." and startupType="..." so you'll end up with just a <add name="..."> for each module.
2. On the second line of that SystemConfig.config file there's a build="3900" numer, change it to 1650.
3. Restart the website and log into the backend.
4. Logout and check your SystemConfig.config, if everything went right it added the numbers, if not then there's already an issue with your 5.3 installation, or perhaps a server/permission issue.
---
5. Download the 5.3.3920 hotfix and install using the projectmanager.
6. Download the 5.4.4040 projectmanager and upgrade to 5.4.
7. Check your SystemConfig.config files to ensure upgrade went smooth.
---
8. Download the 6.1.4700 projectmanager and upgrade to 6.1.

You can upgrade directly from 5.4 to 6.1. And perhaps instead of going from 5.3 to 6.0, upgrading to 5.4 first and then to 6.1 might perhaps get rid of the anomaly you're having...

Good luck,
Jochem

Thanks for taking the time to post all your help.  I will try this one out as well.  I have opened a help ticket with Telerik and also waiting for the 5.3 version to be brought back from a back up at my company.  Seriously, thanks for all your suggestions.  I really appreciate it.

Nonsense, if it solves your problem it's time well spent...

This thread is closed