Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 11:11

6.2 Sitefinity adding extra urls on page move could be troublesome

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2013 00:00

Create a Grouppage  /test
Create a Page therein /test/mypage

now move the page out so /test/mypage becomes /mypage
SF addes /test/mypage as extra url

I guess the idea is that if you move the page you want search engines still to find it. 

However deleting the /test grouppage is not possible till you remove the extra URL from the moved /mypage page.

If you drag a page around a lot you get a ton of urls 

www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_move_page_extra_url.swf

Markus

The idea is indeed that the previous URL can still be found and that link popularity is retained by 301-redirecting it to the new one. The basic idea is good but personally I would prefer to be able to switch this off. Dragging around pages is quite common in the development stage but at that point we do not need all the extra URLs configured to be redirected. Moving pages in a live site is not good practice but it can occasionally be necessary and only then I would like the option to have a redirect.

A side effect of these extra URLs is that Sitefinity thinks they are still tied to a page like you have seen. It thinks the group page still has a child but actually it hasn't. I've seen this many times: just not being able to delete a page because Sitefinity thinks there's a child page. It can be a pain to find the URL causing that.

Sitefinity is also doing this when renaming images. It generates loads of URLs which are not needed at all.

Dear Arno

It would be nice if a admin parameter could be set (maybe it already can down in the deep see of setttings) to turn this on/off.

To me it becomes even more confusing when you create a new page with the same name under the /test

I end up with an extra URL which does not work

www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_new_url_double.swf
www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_new_url_double2.swf

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

I agree, a simple setting would at least allow us to turn this off during development. Also I would like to be able to remove all redirect URL's already in the project. Probably the API can do it but that takes time.

Now it's up to Telerik; please make this configurable!

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2013 00:00

Hello Markus, Arno,

Thank you for pointing out the need for such functionality. I have open a feature request in our Public Issue Tracking system to turn on/off adding extra urls on page move.

Second request for feature to remove all the additional URLs is not available by design as it is very risky, because this potentially could brake a lot of frontend pages and could not be reverted.
When this is done through the API the developer is absolutely aware of the risk and could not do it by chance.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed