Content editor experience for an editor role?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:00

Content editor experience for an editor role?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2013 00:00

I have set up a content block to be editable for my "test Editor" role. When that user is logged in what should they expect to see as an editor for that role?

My test user just sees the same page as everyone else. I would assume that they should get the inline editing icon at a minimum?

How does the editor get to the edit mode?

Is there a video or document addressing this?
TIA

pss I have found this link http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/user-guide/website-content/creating-and-editing-content-while-browsing-the-website
The first paragraph explains exactly what I want to do by not having to go to the back end but then the next bullet point says the exact oposite, "To use inline editing, you must be logged in Sitefinity backend."
These seem to be contradictory to each other??????

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2013 00:00

Hello John,

In Sitefinity you can set granular permissions. You can set permissions globally, per module or section or individual items and you can also set individual user or role permissions. For example, you can configure content editors to be able only to create and edit news and to upload documents, but only in certain libraries. You can also set two particular users to be able to approve and publish news.

To set up different types of permissions follow these procedures:

You can also check this video tutorial how to set permission to specific groups or users.

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Nov-2013 00:00

The video doesn't really help with my issue.

1. I set up a content block.
2. The editor role has rights to edit that content.
3. I add a test user to the editor role.
4. The test user logs in to the site and navigates to the page containing the content block.
5. What is the test user suppose to see when they get to that page with the editable content block? I would expect them to see the edit icon or something similar for that block. But the test user sees nothing. How do I get it so that they can edit the content block???

Try giving the user backend rights...I think that's required

I've always argued the page editing permissions are overly complex and not intuitive...one would assume your setup would work.

Yea, It works in every other CMS that I've ever worked with.
I'm really trying to keep as many users out of the backend as possible because it too seems overly complex and full of  ways for users to get into trouble.

I'll give the backend user permission a try.

I have now given the editor role inline edit permissions in the backend. Changing this now gives me a pencil icon on the right side of the screen. If I select that and choose the submenu "Edit Content" it takes me to a blank screen with the url "/mysite/home/Action/InEdit".  Or if I am logged in as the ultimate admin it still displays the original page but there is no editing capabilities at all.

This seems like such a basic feature.......... I think it at least deserves a focused tutorial video.

I've been trying to follow these instructions

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/user-guide/website-content/creating-and-editing-content-while-browsing-the-website

But when I get to #2 the edit icon does not change color and the top toolbar never appears. I've tried this in IE11 and Firefox 25.1.

When I am logged in as Admin the page refreshes and the edit icon changes to show "Exit Editing" but still no top menu bar as detailed in the documentation. If I do it while logged in as an "editor" the page refreshes to a completely blank page and the url that it refreshes to seems malformed or at least illogical.

I'm starting to look back at DNN with fond memories....

Lad up firebugs console tab and see if there's any script errors.  The inline editing is pretty nice when you get it working.  the only crappy thing about it is it sends down kendo.metro.css...so if you,re using kendo controls on your page with a new skin it goes all to hell.

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am getting an jscript error ( /mysite/RestApi/Sitefinity/inlineediting/configuration HTTP status: 404)

According to that document I have to rebuild the whole site? I was really trying avoid recompiling everything for an upgrade. Or do I just need to add the service stack portions to the web.Config?

I have done no custom code for the site and never intend to. I just want a binary replacement upgrade to the newer versions so that I can get the promised inline editing.

If you're on 6.2 just make sure you have the webconfig changes so it knows where the RestApi stuff is

Steve,

First: Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Getting closer. Now if I log into the administration site first and then go to the live site I get the editing pieces to all show up and I can make changes and edit just like I want. But I still have to go thru the backend first which is really undesirable for the "editor" role that I want.

But if I log into the main site as an admin or editor I still do not get the inline editing.

Just to clarify:
1) You are not logged in
2) You visit your login page, and log in
3) You go to the page you need to edit

...no pencil icon on the right-side of the screen?

I finally figured it out... When I went thru the login process as my test user it was returning me to "/mysite/default.aspx" if I return to "/mysite/home" the inline editing works properly.

Okay, good stuff :)

Now I just have to figure out how to get it to not return to the default.aspx page. LOL

Thanks again

Logging in with the Sitefinity Login Widget?...have you tried setting the DestinationUrl?

This thread is closed