Sitefinity 6.3 Version Question on Image Gallery & Downl

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:19

Sitefinity 6.3 Version Question on Image Gallery & Download List

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2014 00:00

The below text is from the 6.3 release page here:
www.sitefinity.com/.../sitefinity-6-3-released

My big question is listed under the Widgets and Image Gallery bullet.
It says:
"Image Gallery, Video Gallery, Download List: Option to display items from selected library and not from its sub libraries".
So does that mean the Image Gallery will not display items from sub libraries????
I thought that was fixed in version 6.2. So did they take it back out???

Here is the text from the release page.
Widgets:

Revision history for widget templates: option  to track changes in old version of widget templates

Content widgets: Ability to filter content by custom taxonomies, in addition to the built-in ones (PITS)

Image Gallery, Video Gallery, Download List: Option to display items from selected library and not from its sub libraries

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2014 00:00

I was about to upgrade from my 6.1 to 6.3 but if the Image Gallery is not looking into sub libraries (like someone from Telerik told me it did in 6.2), then I will not upgrade to 6.3.

Someone please explain the wording above on the Image Gallery and Download List.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2014 00:00

Hi Tony,

Excuse us for the misunderstanding. What we introduced in Sitefinity 6.3 is a setting in the Image Gallery, Video Gallery, Download List whether to display or not media content items from sub folders. The default behavior is to display items from sub folders as it was in our previous version. However you can now manage this behavior based on the new setting. Please check the attached screenshots.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2014 00:00

Awesome...thank you Strahil. 

Can you answer the question on the Download List naming convention?
I want to keep the file names in the back end something with meaning like" XYZ Model 250.pdf" but I want the text in the Download List to say "View Manual" and have a link to the pdf above.
Right now, I have to change the pdf file name in the backend to View Manual so the text on the web pages Download List says View Manual. I hope this makes sense.
What are my options?

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2014 00:00

Hello Tony,

To achieve this you need to update your widget template. Drag a Download list on your page, edit its properties, click on Settings tab and edit the list template as it is shown in the attached screenshots.

This is a updated version of the default template that shows the title of the document and the link to the document with text: "View Manual":

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls.BrowseAndEdit" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Comments.Web.UI.Frontend" TagPrefix="comments" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" %>

<sitefinity:ResourceLinks id="resourcesLinks2" runat="server" UseEmbeddedThemes="true" Theme="Default">
  <sitefinity:ResourceFile Name="Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Themes.Basic.Styles.icons.css" Static="true" />
</sitefinity:ResourceLinks>
<sf:BrowseAndEditToolbar ID="browseAndEditToolbar" runat="server" Mode="Edit"></sf:BrowseAndEditToolbar>
<div id="itemsContainer" runat="server">
    <asp:Repeater ID="documentsRepeater" runat="server">
        <HeaderTemplate>
            <ul class="sfdownloadList sfListMode">
        </HeaderTemplate>
        <ItemTemplate>
            <li id="docItem" runat="server" class="sfdownloadFile">                     
                      <h2><sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("Title")%>' /></h2>
                      <asp:HyperLink NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("MediaUrl")%>' runat="server" Text="View Manual"/></asp:hyperlink>
                      <sitefinity:SitefinityHyperLink ID="documentLink" runat="server" CssClass="sfdownloadTitle" target="_blank" Text="View Manual" Visible="false"/>
                <div class="sfMetaInfo">
                    <sitefinity:SitefinityLabel id="infoLabel" runat="server" WrapperTagName="span" HideIfNoText="false" CssClass="sfInfo" />
                    <comments:CommentsCountControl runat="server" ThreadKey='<%# ControlUtilities.GetLocalizedKey(Eval("Id")) %>' ThreadType='<%# Container.DataItem.GetType().FullName %>' DisplayMode="ShortText"/>
                </div>
            </li>
        </ItemTemplate>
        <FooterTemplate>
            </ul>
        </FooterTemplate>
    </asp:Repeater>
</div>
<sitefinity:Pager id="pager" runat="server"></sitefinity:Pager>

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Strahil,

Thanks for responding.
I copied and pasted that code into the Document-List template and saved and it took away ALL of my documents in all of my lists. It said a parsing error occurred.
I am still on SF 6.1.
Does that matter?
Also, does it matter that my documents are in sub-folders or child libraries?

Hi Tony,

Sorry for the misunderstanding the template I sent you is for Sitefinity 6.3.
Here is the one for Sitefinity 6.1:

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls.BrowseAndEdit" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<sitefinity:ResourceLinks id="resourcesLinks2" runat="server" UseEmbeddedThemes="true" Theme="Default">
  <sitefinity:ResourceFile Name="Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Themes.Basic.Styles.icons.css" Static="true" />
</sitefinity:ResourceLinks>
<sf:BrowseAndEditToolbar ID="browseAndEditToolbar" runat="server" Mode="Edit"></sf:BrowseAndEditToolbar>
<div id="itemsContainer" runat="server">
    <asp:Repeater ID="documentsRepeater" runat="server">
        <HeaderTemplate>
            <ul class="sfdownloadList sfListMode">
        </HeaderTemplate>
        <ItemTemplate>
            <li id="docItem" runat="server" class="sfdownloadFile">
                <h2><sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("Title")%>' /></h2>
                      <asp:HyperLink NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("MediaUrl")%>' runat="server" Text="View Manual"/></asp:hyperlink>
                      <sitefinity:SitefinityHyperLink ID="documentLink" runat="server" CssClass="sfdownloadTitle" target="_blank" Text="View Manual" Visible="false"/>
                <sitefinity:SitefinityLabel id="infoLabel" runat="server" WrapperTagName="div" HideIfNoText="false" CssClass="sfInfo" />
            </li>
        </ItemTemplate>
        <FooterTemplate>
            </ul>
        </FooterTemplate>
    </asp:Repeater>
</div>
<sitefinity:Pager id="pager" runat="server"></sitefinity:Pager>

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Hi Strahil,

Well, it still shows a Parsing Template Error and displays no list of documents.

Here is a sample page that has several PDFs in a Download List.
Trying to read your Template code, will all of the documents in my folder be called View Manual?
Not sure if that will work or if I have to have several <li> in the template code to cover all of the possible documents in the folders?

sf.apwwyott.com/.../refrigerated

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2014 00:00

Hi Tony,

Could please send me your working template so I can edit it in way it should work, following your description.
As I understand you want to have View manual link in the template instead of renaming your documents. Is that correct?

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2014 00:00

1. How do I send you the template file?
2. Can I save a copy of it too before I send it to you?
3. I am not sure we are on the same page. I don't think I need to have the words "View Manual" hard-coded into the template.

I will try to explain it better:
I have dozens of product sub folders in my Documents folder. Each sub folder or child folder will have a Spec Sheet PDF and a Manual PDF. Right now I have to Rename each of these PDF file names (there are a couple of hundred) to say either View Spec Sheet or View Manual because if I don't rename them, the Document List which is automatically created from that sub folder just grabs the PDFs and puts their file name on the web page under the document list and I dont want the person viewing the site to see the file name. I want the web page to say View Spec Sheet and View Manual with the underlying file name being the original file name and NOT ViewManual.pdf or ViewSpecSheet.pdf. I want it to act like a normal website with hyperlinks where I can name the text on the web page to anything but the hyperlink that it goes to is the real file name and not some name that I do not want such as ViewManual.pdf.  Currently I have 130 ViewManual.pdfs, with each one in a different sub folder and that is not good.
I hope this makes it more clear and I hope that we don't have to hard code the template for this to work like a regular web page with links to documents.
Thanks so much for your time.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2014 00:00

Not sure if this is the issue, but from what I recall, the Sitefinity template parser is CaSeSentitive, and the typical standard settings of Visual-Studio is to format tags and attributes in lowercase... causing a parsing error - I've burnt many an hour with that one.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2014 00:00

Hi Tony,

If you still have troubles with this template, navigate to Sitefinity -> Design -> Widget Templates find the template you are using to rend the dynamic items. And paste it as a reply here so I can test it locally and 
edit it in way it should work, following your description.

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

This thread is closed