message from webpage configuration error

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:30

message from webpage configuration error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2014 00:00

Hello,

We recently moved our sitefinity project to a new web server and moved the database to a new SQL server. I updated the dataconfig file to point to the new SQL instance.  I can login to sitefinity but whenever I select a page / content or any menu item,  it gives me a popup titled "message from webpage" that says "configuration error".

That really tells me absolutely nothing about what is wrong.

We moved another sitefinity site to the new server as well and it is functioning properly.  When reviewing the two web.config's side by side they are identical so it would seem to be in some other config file??

Same operating system on original and new servers.

Any suggestions?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2014 00:00

Hello Eric,

Most likely you have corrupted / invalid webconfig or config files.
I could suggest you to backup your webconfig / config files and replace them with configs from an empty project (or another clean installation) to isolate the source of your problem.

After locating the file, check it for any duplicate entries or any invalid data that may causes this issue.

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jan-2014 00:00

Hello,

I did what you suggested in the post and the "configuration error" is gone but now all I get is a pop-up that says "runtime error". That's it.  Isn't there some way to debug this so I can get more than that message?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2014 00:00

Hi Eric,

This is indeed a strange error you are getting. As you have changed the servers on which the project is being hosted, the most probable cause for the problem may be misconfiguration of the actual server you are using. 

I would like to kindly ask you if you could provide  more detailed information regarding this problem:

• What is the Sitefinity version you are using?
  • Is it possible to provide us with a screenshot or a screencast?
  • If possible please share with us the steps you took when moving to the new server as well as information about your environment.
  • have you followed all steps in IIS deployment procedure
  • are there any errors in your error.log file? Can you share it?

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2014 00:00

Well thankfully our sitefinity site is hosted at a datacenter and we have a backup image of the data and site.  I went ahead and built a brand new server with the original issue.  Although copying the  configuration files from an empty project did not work, we had a separate install of sitefinity under the same root folder where the site with the issue was.  When I copied the web.config from the other site to the problem site, it fixed the issue.

This thread is closed