Adding microweb to site

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 00:44

Adding microweb to site

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2014 00:00

I have a self-contained microweb with about 25 files in it, and I've been asked to add it to the website so that it can be accessed under our normal web address even though it isn't part of the Sitefinity files. I am new to Sitefinity -- I took over content editing after others set up the initial site. I can't find any information on how to achieve this and I don't want to mess anything up with trial and error. I've attached a screen shot of what the files list looks like. Am I supposed to create a folder under here and copy the files up? Am I supposed to stay out of this area with non-Sitefinity files?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Becky

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2014 00:00

Hello Becky,

In general, Sitefinity is a default ASP.Net project so you are allowed to place folders under the root one and access them using a call to YourDomain.com/YourFolder/YourFile. It is good practice that you do not use ASP.Net reserved folders such as the App_Data one in Sitefinity's case.

With that said, it is possible to place your files under the Sitefinity root folder. Depending on what the files are, you can have access to them using your domain. Provided the files are a separate project like a class library for example, you may need to register them in a Global.asax file in order for you to be able to use it successfully.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2014 00:00

OK, I created a folder at the top level and copied a couple of files into it. I tried opening MyDomain.com/.../default.html but got a 404 error. I don't know if this is the right location. How can I tell if it's that or if I need to register it in a global.asax file (which I also don't know anything about.

Thanks,
Becky

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2014 00:00

Here's the screen shot of the files in the web-2-case folder.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Feb-2014 00:00

Hello Becky,

I can see you are trying to add simple html files and you do not need to register those in your global.asax. Please view this video of how I open one such file within a sample project. You can see that the url is corresponding to the place the file is inside my root directory.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2014 00:00

Thanks! The files are .html, .css, .js, and images. Do any of those file types need to be registered?

Becky

Hello Becky,

No you do not need your global asax for these sorts of files. The Global.asax in your solution is used to register code that needs to be compiled so as to run along with your instance of Sitefinity. One such example can be an external class library that you wish to include in your project.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Great -- thanks!
Becky

This thread is closed