Multisite and SiteSync

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:47

Multisite and SiteSync

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2014 00:00

I am developing a project where both Multisite and SiteSync will be enabled.
The customer's expectation is that they will be able to create new sites (or a copy of an existing site) and at a later time sync the site to a production environment.

My sync tests have been successful (pages, templates, images, newsItems, etc), until I created a new website to be a copy of an existing one.

My tests for this use case gives me a bunch of pages that error out when sync-ing, and the new website is not present in the next environment...

the Syncronization.log file has entries like:

Message: Item 'My Page Title' was not  sent.<br>Item information: id = '0a2b8b4a-cb8a-6918-b4d9-ff0000c464b1'; type = 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageNode'; provider = 'OpenAccessDataProvider'; action = 'Updated'<br>Error details:System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InternalServerError (500) is not one of the following: OK (200), Created (201), Accepted (202), NonAuthoritativeInformation (203), NoContent (204), ResetContent (205), PartialContent (206) ---> System.Web.HttpException: Error unknown! Please, check logs for further information about error details!<br>   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---<br>   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Cmis.RestAtom.Client.EnsureStatusIsSuccessful(HttpResponseMessage response, HttpStatusCode acceptable, HttpStatusCode[] otherAcceptable)<br>   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Cmis.RestAtom.Client.SendDocument(ISiteSyncExportTransaction document)<br>   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.SiteSync.SyncingManager.Export(ISiteSyncSnapIn snapIn, SiteSyncExportContext context)

The Errors.log file has the same entries.

And exceptions caught in Global.asax report:

[http://mydomain/Sitefinity/CMIS/RestAtom/D49CD7BE-8639-4F8B-9B08-E99B5B2B7212/children/][ArgumentException] <br>System.ArgumentException: Unable to find parent of type Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageNode  with ID dd2a8b4a-cb8a-6918-b4d9-ff0000c464b1<br>   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.SiteSync.SiteSyncImporter.Import(IEnumerable`1 items)<br>   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Cmis.RestAtom.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

So my conclusion is that siteSync will not create new websites for Multisite ?
hence the pages cannot be placed into the correct RootNode ?

If I create the website in the production environment, I think the GUID will not match, so the problem will not go away...

So when the customer creates a new website on their authoring environment, a Database backup->restore would have to be done from authoring to production ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2014 00:00

I guess this "limitation" is by design and is tied to subdomains having to be recorded by Telerik's sales department.
It also has considerations like new domains will start showing the random "you are using a pending-registation sitefinity license" page...

@Telerik, can you list/phrase if new sites in multisite can be synced to the next envirionment, and if not, why, so I can let my customer know of the implications/considerations...

thanks in advance.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2014 00:00

Hi,

Currently it is a prerequisite to have the same sites on both server in order for the sync to work. You can find more here:Site Sync prerequisites and restrictions.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2014 00:00

Hello Atanas, @Telerik, 

I am now on version 7.0 of Sitefinity, and am wondering if new sites (in Multisite) in a staging environment, are now created in the next environment after a sync. In other words, a new website is created in Environment A, and needs to be synced to environment B (receiving).

If this scenario cannot be accomplished, what are the steps to get the new site to environment B ?? so that it can then get its data from a sync ?

I can't just get the database of env A and restore it for env B, because env B (production) has form submissions that would be lost. The rest of the info I guess would be fine (this statement will bite me back afterwards, I can sense it).

There are also table values like the domains that support the sites that would be lost, etc...

going the other way (backup the production DB and restore it onto staging), there's still the issues with the table entries that support the domains, and who-knows what other database data would need addressing....

thanks for the attention.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Aug-2014 00:00

Hi,

The prerequisites for Site Sync remain unchanged and the sites need to be the same in both environments and newly created sites are not synced. You can try scripting out the form responses and then importing them in the moved database to avoid losing any.

You can test the following scenario - add the site to the staging environment, copy over the and project to the next environment and set them side by side to the other site. Move the form responses and configure the site domains, etc. When everything is configured and working ok, you can switch to this site.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed