How does one unlock a locked out user through the Administra

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:54

How does one unlock a locked out user through the Administration UI?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2014 00:00

I'm able to find how to do it programmatically, but having trouble finding it in the backend UI.

Thanks!

Dave

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Apr-2014 00:00

Hi,

A user account is locked after 5 consecutive unsuccessful login attempts. You can easily unlock a user programatically, for example:

var userMan = UserManager.GetManager("Default");
           //you won't need this if you'll be doing it from your site's backend and you already have sufficient privileges to perform this action
           userMan.Provider.SuppressSecurityChecks = true;
           //you can also use one of the userMan.GetUser() overloads
           var user = userMan.GetUserByEmail("test@test.com");
           if (user != null)

userMan.UnlockUser(user);
               userMan.SaveChanges();

​By design in case a user has locked his/her account, the UI offers the option of resetting the user's password. Currently there is no UI exposed for unlocking a user.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi Stefani,

You stated above that "By design in case a user has locked his/her account, the UI offers the option of resetting the user's password. "  

In my experience when a user locks themselves out, you can't reset their password through the backend UI for security reasons.  So for instance, if you click on Reset Password, the little yellow box doesn't appear with the randomized password.

Am I missing something? Is there another way? I have this exact scenario on my hands now...

Thank you.
Laura

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2015 00:00

Hi,

As an administrator you can reset the users password anytime you want. If the user is locked you have the ability to unlock his/her account. To see the yellow box under "Once created the username cannot be changed" you need to the following parameters configured in your system:

1. recoveryMailAddress
2. enablePasswordReset 

Which can be found under Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Security -> Membership Providers -> Default.

Further details can be found in our documentation:

docs.sitefinity.com/administration-configure-the-password-recovery-link

or in the following KB article.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed