Upgrading Sitefinity 6.2 to 6.3

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:39

Upgrading Sitefinity 6.2 to 6.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Apr-2014 00:00

Now that 7.0 has been released, is there no longer an upgrade path from 6.2 to 6.3? Currently only the 6.2 to 7.0 path is listed here: 

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade

I'd like to upgrade a 6.2.4910.0 instance to 6.3 for some of the new functionality in that version, but we don't need to upgrade to 7.0 as of now

There is no reason to *NOT* go to 7...it contains such a massive amount of awesome stuff, why would you opt out of that?...like clearly it contains everything in 6.3 and all the internal builds from there...what am I missing?

Matt, if you still go to Sitefinity 6.3, you will notice that the web.config files are now updated for you using XML transformation.  However, I would agree with Steve, unless you have a huge breaking change I would skip to 7.0.  Sitefinity supports upgrades two version back so that is why they updated the site to push users from 6.2 to 7.0.

Thanks for the replies gents.  I wouldn't say there is no reason not to go to 7.0, I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to minimize risk of breaking changes in your codebase by not upgrading to a newer version than you have to.  

Not to doubt the fine folks at Telerik, but in addition to known API changes there always could be unknown unknowns in a new release that sneak in there, and for this particular client/project I figured it be better to err on the side of caution rather than get burned by upgrading to a version that officially came out last week.

I suppose I could always just try upgrading to 7.0 in a local environment and see if anything bad happens.  

This thread is closed