How to prevent Sitefinity from inserting " " into

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 00:41

How to prevent Sitefinity from inserting " " into empty divs

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2014 00:00

Hello,

When I place a content widget on a page, enter into the text editor, select the HTML option, and paste a block of markup in there, when I close it out and open it back up there are now "&nbsp;" inserted into any divs I have that don't have content (they are used for displaying graphics and don't have any need to have anything in the markup - i.e. <div class="myImage"></div>.  So with that example, when I re-open the editor and inspect my html it will now display <div class="myImage">&nbsp;</div>.

I would like to know how to prevent that from happening. This is quite aggravating because every time I open the editor, it will insert those throughout the markup. Some sections are lengthy and a bunch of those are added so that means I have to scour thru the entire code block, select them, and then delete them all. Normally, I could let it go, but the code I'm working with requires that there not be any non-breaking space characters in those divs.

Hopefully it's a quick setting change somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Cole

Hello,

The problem is caused by a filter that the RadControl used by our HTMLField is using. The filter is called: ConvertToXhtml. This filter converts the HTML from the editor content area to XHTML. You need to turn off this filter if you do not want &nbsp to be added. To disable the filter follow the steps below:

1. Create a new user control in Visual Studio
2. Place the source code bellow in the template of the control, bellow the  <%@ Control Language...  row:

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" TagPrefix="sf" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Extenders" TagPrefix="sf" %>

<sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer ID="conditionalTemplate" runat="server">
    <Templates>
        <sf:ConditionalTemplate ID="ConditionalTemplate1" Left="DisplayMode" Operator="Equal" Right="Read" runat="server">
            <sf:SitefinityLabel id="titleLabel_read" runat="server" WrapperTagName="div" HideIfNoText="false" CssClass="sfTxtLbl" />
            <sf:SitefinityLabel id="viewControl" runat="server" WrapperTagName="div" HideIfNoText="false" CssClass="sfRTFContent" />
        </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
        <sf:ConditionalTemplate ID="ConditionalTemplate2" Left="DisplayMode" Operator="Equal" Right="Write" runat="server">
            <sf:ResourceLinks id="resourcesLinks2" runat="server">
                <sf:EmbeddedResourcePropertySetter Name="Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Themes.Default.Styles.EditorDialogs.css" Static="true" ControlID="editControl" ControlPropertyName="DialogsCssFile" />
                <sf:ResourceFile Name="Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Themes.Default.Styles.Window.css" Static="true" />
            </sf:ResourceLinks>
            <asp:Label ID="titleLabel_write" runat="server" CssClass="sfTxtLbl" AssociatedControlID="editControl" />
            <asp:LinkButton ID="expandLink" runat="server" OnClientClick="return false;" CssClass="sfOptionalExpander" />
            <%--NewLineBr="False" - removed because of bug 112126. The bug should be fixed in the next release of RadControls.--%>
            <asp:Panel ID="expandableTarget" runat="server" CssClass="sfEditorWrp sfClearfix">
                <telerik:RadEditor
                    ID="editControl"
                    runat="server"
                    Skin="Sitefinity"
                    Width="100%"
                    Height="550px"
                    EnableResize="False"
                    EditModes="Design,HTML"
                    DialogHandlerUrl="~/Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd"
                    Content=""
                    StripFormattingOptions="Css,Font,Span" >
                    <FlashManager ViewPaths="~/Files" UploadPaths="~/Files" DeletePaths="~/Files" />
                </telerik:RadEditor>
                <sf:RadEditorCustomDialogsExtender runat="server" id="editorCustomDialogsExtender" TargetControlID="editControl"/>
                <sf:SitefinityLabel id="descriptionLabel" runat="server" WrapperTagName="div" HideIfNoText="true" CssClass="sfDescription" />
                <sf:SitefinityLabel id="exampleLabel" runat="server" WrapperTagName="div" HideIfNoText="true" CssClass="sfExample" />
            </asp:Panel>
        </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
    </Templates>       
</sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer>

<%-- Overwrite. Remove after RadControls service pack 2012 Q1 --%>
    <script type="text/javascript">
        Telerik.Web.UI.Editor.AlignCommand.prototype.getState = function (oWindow)
            oWindow = oWindow || this.get_window();
            var doc = oWindow.document;

if ($telerik.isFirefox)
                var alignDirection = this.get_alignment();
                var selection = doc.getSelection();
                if (selection && selection.getRangeAt)
                    try
                        var selectedElement = selection.getRangeAt(0).commonAncestorContainer;
                        var blockElement = this.utils.getFirstBlockElementUp(selectedElement);
                        state = blockElement && blockElement.style.textAlign == alignDirection;

catch (ex)
                        state = false;

else
                    state = false;

return state ? Telerik.Web.UI.Editor.CommandStates.On : Telerik.Web.UI.Editor.CommandStates.Off;

else
                return Telerik.Web.UI.Editor.AlignCommand.callBaseMethod(this, "getState", [oWindow]);

</script>

3. Place the following source code in the code behind ( ascx.cs ):

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

editControl.PreRender += new EventHandler(editControl_PreRender);

void editControl_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)

editControl.DisableFilter(Telerik.Web.UI.EditorFilters.ConvertToXhtml);

4. Build your project
5. Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Controls -> Viewmap
and set the Host type to Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields.HtmlField , the LayoutTemplatePath is for example:
~/HtmlFieldCustom.ascx
6. Go to your project in Visual Studio, make a dummy change in your web.config file, save the changes and run the project.

You can see a list of all filters in this demo and make some tests there.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Stefani,

Thank you for your detailed response!  I added the code snippets per your directions however when I go to build the project, it fails.  If I remove the second code block (#3) from the ascx.cs file, the build succeeds. So it would appear that there is something wrong with that.  I tried adding that snippet to various places within the file and every time the build fails. Please advise.

Also, in your direction #6, what does a "dummy change" mean?

Thanks so much!
Cole

PS, I just added a screenshot of my Visual Studio build error(s).

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2014 00:00

Hi again,  just checking in to see if you might be able to answer my questions above.

Thanks,
Cole

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2014 00:00

Cole, its invalid code...you cant have methods outside your class

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2014 00:00

Hi Steve,

Thanks for stepping in. However I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to exactly.  The code Stefani provided is invalid or how/where I'm trying to insert it is wrong?

See attached...you put the code outside the class...that's not valid C# code

Ok, got it to build without errors but unfortunately Sitefinity is still inserting those pesky NBSP's.  Bummer.

Its not so much Sitefinity as the horrible RadEditor, perhaps try posting on their forum?

Ha! Ok, will give that a shot next.  Thanks for your help!

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2014 00:00

Hello,

I am not able to reproduce the problem after I have disabled the ConvertToXhtml filter. For your convenience please review the video demonstration recorded with Sitefinity 7.0.

Please make sure that you have build the project and there are no errors, that you have created a new view map and that you have restarted your project.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

@Stephani

I have experienced flakeyness like this when I define a stylesheet to load inside the editor too...the contentareacss...not sure if that is the case though

Hello,

Thank you Steve for sharing. Cole can try to remove the styles if there are any styles loaded in the editor and inform us of the results. A side note the purpose of the ConvertToXhtml filter is to validate the HTML tags and makes them XHTML.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Hi Stefani,

Ok, so I decided to run through everything from scratch and in doing so noticed that I had recently missed a step in your directions.  When the build failed initially, I never got to the part where you say :

5. Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Controls -> Viewmap
and set the Host type to Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields.HtmlField , the LayoutTemplatePath is for example: ~/HtmlFieldCustom.ascx

I had spent so much time trying to get it to build successfully, that once I did, I had forgotten to register it as specified above.  So end result... IT WORKS NOW! :) 

Thank you and Steve both for your assistance!  Much appreciated!

Cole

PS, I'm attaching a screenshot of the ascx.cs file so that should someone else encounter this issue, they can view the file that was the most difficult to implement.  The screenshot shows how it is so that the build succeeds.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2014 00:00

Hi,

Glad to hear that everything is working on your side now. Thank you for sharing this information. 

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

This thread is closed