User control debugging and breakpoints

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 12:31

User control debugging and breakpoints

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2014 00:00

Hello everyone

I've just encountered something I'm surprised I've not come across before (or perhaps I have and I've simply overcome or ignored it!)

I'm running the latest version of SF (7), IIS 7 and Visual Studio 2013. I've added a simple user control widget to a page that has view state enabled. I'm in VS and hit F5 to fire it up in a browser with a break point set on page load event of the user control. After everything is built, I navigate to the page where I've set the breakpoint on the user control.

As expected, I hit the breakpoint. However, if I then F5 the page or try and hit this breakpoint again, I can't. I have to stop, close down my browser and try all over again which is not conducive to fast development.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there anyway around it? Is it something to do with caching?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Richard,

This may be caused by Output Caching being enabled. I have it disabled in my development environment. See here.

I find the UserControls cache way too much and cause me issues in development

I use nothing but SimpleView or MVC widgets (both thunder generated)

Thank you both - yeah I've disabled caching for now and that seems to have done the trick.

I'm sure I've encountered caching issues previously but it's been a while since I've done any SF development. I'll keep your thoughts in mind Steve!

This thread is closed