Can't login to backend after upgrade from 4.1 to 7.1

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:02

Can't login to backend after upgrade from 4.1 to 7.1

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2014 00:00

After completing the upgrade from 4.1 to 7.1 using the steps provided here (www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade), the frontend of my site loads just fine, but when attempting to access the login portal for the backend (http://localhost/sitefinity), I receive the error "Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: pageDataNode".

I merged my web.config with the one in the 7.1 _EmptyProject folder, and I also tried outright replacing my web.config with one from a new project created in project manager.  The same error occurred either way.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring and how I can fix it?

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Aug-2014 00:00

I discovered the reason the backend login wasn't working was due to some failed upgrade steps that showed in tUpgradeTrace.log.  Here was the main one:  

Message: FAILED : SiteInitializer: Upgrade to 1600 (method: UpgradeBackendPages_AddHelpAndResourcesPage) - Invalid root node configured for pages. No root node with the name of "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000".

I took a guess that the multisite configuration upgrade and the claims authentication upgrade were somehow not being performed in the proper order.  To get around this, I did a second upgrade from 4.1 to 7.1, but before running it I copied the sf_sites table from the first upgrade into the DB.  I also copied the ProjectConfig.Config data from the first upgrade into the second (before running the upgrade)...this way, the root node configuration was already present.

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but all of my upgrades succeeded and I can now log in to the backend.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Aug-2014 00:00

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the shared solution.

We will highly appropriate if you could open a support ticket and provide us with your project in order to test it and improve our upgrade procedure.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed