Email not sent from frontend "forgot password" fea

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:17

Email not sent from frontend "forgot password" feature

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Aug-2014 00:00

We are trying to implement the "change password" functionality on the frontend of a site (7.0/Claims) but are not receiving the email that contains the link to the change password page. I have followed the instructions here: www.sitefinity.com/.../configuring-the-change-password-widget. There is no error in the error logs and from the frontend, everything appears to have worked as expected (user receives the message: Password reset instructions have been sent to your email). Following are the steps I've taken and settings I have configured:

1. Created a Login page with the Login widget.

2. Configured the Login widget settings ChangePasswordPageUrl, DestinationPageUrl, ShowLostPasswordLink (true)

3. Created a Forgot Password page with the Change Password widget.

4. Administration > Settings > Advanced >

4.a. Notifications > Profiles > Default: added settings for DefaultSenderEmailAddress, Host, Port (left default of 25), Username, Password

4.b. Security > Membership Providers > Default > Parameters: requiresQuestionAndAnswer (false), enablePasswordRetrieval (have tried both true and false), enablePasswordReset (true), recoveryMailAddress, and confirmed recoveryMailBody and recoveryMailSubject are entered

4.c. System > SMTP (email settings): Host, Port (left default of 25), Username, Password, DefaultSenderEmailAddress

Email notifications are working for the site because an admin can successfully reset a user's password from the backend Users screen and an email is received and the password is successfully reset. 

What else could I be missing that would cause the email to never be received by the user? We have confirmed this with multiple users.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Aug-2014 00:00

Hi Melyssa,

Thank you for using our services.

Based on your detailed explanation I can see nothing wrong in your configurations. The only thing I can point out as the main offender in this situation can be the fact that you did not restart the application once the settings were made. Have in mind that all settings under the Administration node are actually changes in the configuration files and an application restart is needed in order for their changes to take effect. You can restart the application by either recycling the app_pool in your IIS or by making a dummy change in your web.config file.

I hope this helps. If the behavior persists, can you please provide me with some backend admin credentials for your site? This will help me observe the environment as well as test some scenarios for myself.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Aug-2014 00:00

Thanks for the reply, Ivan. Sorry that I forgot to mention that I had made dummy changes to the web.config a few times in order to force a restart. I had my network admin recycle the app pool, and I made an additional change to the web.config, but it is still not working. I am going to create a user for you to log into the backend. Can you please let me know what email address you would like me to use for your user?

Thanks,

Melyssa

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Aug-2014 00:00

Hi Melyssa,

I am afraid this sort of information is not suited for a public forum. I can recommend you open a support ticket for this issue. In the support issue me or one of my teammates can view the solution's back end or even request the files and database for further inspection. Once the issue is resolved you are free to post all findings in this thread.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Aug-2014 00:00

Ok thanks - I will submit a support ticket then.

Melyssa

This thread is closed