Make Menu Link Go to PDF Only

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:40

Make Menu Link Go to PDF Only

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Sep-2014 00:00

I am in SF 7.0 and I want a navigation menu item to only go to a PDF and not to a page on the site.

Here is the test site. 

sf.apwwyott.com/.../product-guides

In the left side nav under Resources, I have a sub-menu item called Product Guide PDF. I want this to open up a PDF in the new browser window when clicked on.

How does one accomplish that?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Sep-2014 00:00

Come on guys. I know this has to be fairly simple for you expert SF guys.
Please help me out.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2014 00:00

Tony,

You'll need to create a page redirect in your sitemap. Here's a link to the documentation

If you would like to see this in action, I created a short video for you. Check it out on YouTube. http://youtu.be/TjE45lJOih8

Oh Tim, you are the man. I knew it had to be simple. I looked at that part last week but saw that it wanted a web address and did not think of just putting the path to the PDF.

Perfect!!!

Thank you Sir!!

Hello,

Just another way that it could be done, is by using a custom widget on the page. You can select the document from the designer, for instance, then the widget will query the document and will redirect to its link. This way you do not have to hardcode the document link and the link will work when you change the site domain or the document title/url.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Nov-2014 00:00

Please bump Nikola's explaination. The other route mentioned above will break if the document is moved. Much more reliable to use Sitefinity's auto url maintainer.

But I'd like to make a suggestion, could we have the link to be,.. 1) page from this site 2) url to an external site and then a 3rd item? 3) document from this site? Would be nice not having to do the custom widget but that is necessary currently. 

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2014 00:00

Hi Richard,

It could be useful to have this option, however, in my opinion, it is not semantically right to have a 'page' that directly opens a document. Furthermore, users without set in browser reader will experience the need to download the file when clicking on the menu. Another option to accomplish the same, will be to extend the navigation and add additional items in it, this way resolving the items link dynamically and using always the correct link and item location.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed