Excluding Header information from site search results

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 13:47

Excluding Header information from site search results

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2014 00:00

Hello community,

We're currently running 6.2  and have been having an over-indexing problem on search results returns.  It seems that the site search is including header data in the crawl and returning a overly robust result to the point where it becomes not useful.  Has anyone had similar problems and/or can anyone recommend a method to exclude  certain types of content at the page level.  Please advise.  

Regards,

Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Oct-2014 00:00

We also would like to see an answer to this. Currently we are running 7.1

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Oct-2014 00:00

It has no idea what your template content is, you just need to hide it in your widgets or codebehind (wherever appropriate)

Example:

if (this.GetIndexRenderMode() != Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.IndexRenderModes.Normal)
                mainMenuWidget.Visible = false;
                mainToolbarWidget.Visible = false;

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2014 00:00

Hello,

As Steve mentioned, the search index would normally index the whole static content on the page. If you would like to exclude a part of that page you can do it by creating a custom layout control on which you will place the content you would like to hide from the index. We have a blog post describing this process in details.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Regards,

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2014 00:00

I'm partial to hiding widgets themselves...using layouts works on a per page basis...or per page template.  So if a user uses your X\Y widget on a page and doesn't wrap it in the layout, it's being indexed again.

Where coded to the widget it's 100% sitewide...could even add a property to the widget to allow it to be indexed on a per-widget basis.

This thread is closed