What can I do with the Community Edition?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 05:12

What can I do with the Community Edition?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2014 00:00

I am not clear if I could develop a startup website using the community edition? I do have a license for the latest community edition.

There used to be more details on the sitefinity.com web site around the community edition, but it seems they have removed most of it.  Below are the main details I could find on sitefinity.com.

www.sitefinity.com/.../faq

Take a look under the section labeled Licensing and you will see the question, "What is the difference between Sitefinity editions?"

Sitefinity comes in the following editions:

• Community
    For personal, hobby websites or blogs
  • Small Business
    For small business and start-up websites as well as brochure-type and microsites
  • Standard
    For growing online businesses, which need interactive, full-featured websites
  • Professional
    For comprehensive websites and portals of large organizations
  • Enterprise
    For enterprises with large web content and editing needs

Hope this helps.

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your interest in Sitefinity.

We no longer offer the community edition. You can see the available editions on our pricing page: www.sitefinity.com/purchase 

The documentation that Craig references is a bit out of date, but will be updated shortly. 

If your interested in a demo, or to discuss which option would best fit your needs, please email sales@sitefinity.com

Thanks,

Regards,
Steve
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

I do have a community edition download under my downloads. So I am confused.

But I think Craig is right. So I think I cannot use Sitefinity community edition for a startup company.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2014 00:00

Steve,

So if I understand you correctly, there will be no more community edition offered?  

Why was it decided to get ride of the community edition and what happens to everyone that is currently using a community edition license?

Is it me, or does this product seem to be getting more and more expensive for no reason.

Craig

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2014 00:00

I am also not a big fan of losing the community edition. (Though in reality it is gone and it is only there to support current implementations but as pointed out you can download a license and fire up a new site)

Though I do understand why they would not offer it publicly.

I would like to have seen it become a Partner offering only where we can set it up and support it. (ie no SF support) Or as an extension for license holders allowing them to run micro sites without having to pay for a new domain license.

The ability to help out people with a small need, get them using Sitefinity so if they come across bigger ventures they want to use Sitefinity from the start.

Yes it is getting more expensive over time but the SF developers do need to be paid to create more and better features. But I would like to see a few more options for the small guy. (me)

This thread is closed