Problem with Database connection can not Create Project

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 02:43

Problem with Database connection can not Create Project

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2015 00:00

this is the error we are getting

There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, PropertySet driverProps, ConnectionPoolType poolType, LogEventStore pes) at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.sql.SqlDriver.InitializeFor(ConnectionString connectionString, Boolean noConnect, PropertySet props, DBDriver& driver, Connection& conn, ConnectionPoolType poolType) at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.RelationalStorageManagerFactory..ctor(StorageManagerFactoryBuilder b) at OpenAccessRuntime.storagemanager.StorageManagerFactoryBuilder.createSmfForURL()

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2015 00:00

Hi Isabel,

This is a pretty generic Database error and it comes from the fact that there is no SQL Server installed on your machine or the default SQL user on the machine doesn't have rights to create new databases on the MS SQL server or SQLEXPRESS. In order to resolve this issue, please install a supported version of SQL or SQLExpress on your machine and grant the process running Sitefinity or Sitefinity Project Manager Create database permissions. For more information on the Sitefinity prerequisites, please refer to our Documentation.

Additional information on generic errors like this one can be found here.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2015 00:00

got the same error in the new sitefinity 8

I created an empty DB in the sql server and then it works.

maybe a bug ?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2015 00:00

Hello all,

@Yaki

Having Sitefinity connect to an already created empty database or create a project using an empty database is not possible. Can you please share the steps you took in order to reproduce this behavior.

In general, our product connects to its database in the same manner every ASP.Net solution does - via using a connection string that is by default stored in the DataConfig.config file located in the App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration folder. Based on the attributes in the connection strings you connect to the appropriate server instance and database instance.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2015 00:00

hi the steps i did

1. open project manager

2. create new site

3.double click the new site

4. got to the DB selection

5. selected sql server on my dev machine with correct user/password + the new new name of Scheme

6. got the error.

7.try my sql express ( not my sql server 2014) got the same error.

8. went to sql 2014 DB 

9.created a new sql 2014 scheme ( the name i gave in the site)

10. the same screen i got the error in, press next and didn't got the error and the wizard continued to the user selection.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2015 00:00

Hello All,

Thank you Yaki for elaborating.

The issue you are encountering is when trying to use an existing DB instance for your Sitefinity database. Sitefinity's Project Manager creates the database from scratch. All you need to do is to select the appropriate server and give a name to your newly to-be created database. Selecting an existing one will cause an exception.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jun-2015 00:00

I'm running into the same exact issue. I can not  create a new project using either SQL Express or MSSql 2012.  I have the appropriate rights on all accounts.

I've tried to create with both an existing DB and an new db. 

There is no DataConfig.config in the Configuration folder. I'm not sure where that is and where it is suppose to come from.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2015 00:00

Hello John,

In the ticket you have opened related to this issue you have noted that you have the appropriate SQL version installed on your machine. What I can suggest is that you check the account you are using to connect to your SQL server and make sure that this account has create database permissions. Please refer to the important clause from the following article from our documentation.

In addition to this, can you please make sure that you enter properly the username and the password of the SQL user when configuring the database on the Set Database step? Please also make sure that you properly set the SQL server in the Server field? 

What I can also suggest is that you try to check the Windows Authentication (please refer to the attached screenshot) and let me know about the results?

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Feb-2016 00:00

I've encountered the same problem today using my newly installed local Ms SQL 2014 Server. I installed it after an attempt to uninstall MS SQL 2012. I successfully managed to connect to another SQL 2014 instance so I assume that there is something wrong broken on my local server. I am using windows 8.1 but i doubt it is of significant importance.

This thread is closed