Website Templates vs Page Templates

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:57

Website Templates vs Page Templates

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2015 00:00

I'm working my way through the Sitefinity documentation, and I'm trying to get a firm grasp on the use case and distinctions between a website template and a page template.

It seems to me that website templates are driven by ASP.NET master pages, while page templates are driven by metadata stored in the Sitefinity database, and that a page template might be used "inside" a website template. Have I got that right? Any clarification or correction would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Josh

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2015 00:00

Hello Joshua,

Website template:
- Container for the front-end themes, templates, widget templates and JS files (.master, .css, images, .ascx, .js etc.)
- Define place holders for the content.
- To get overall idea of the website template's file structure please read the following documentation: http://docs.sitefinity.com/website-templates-file-structure.

Page Template:
- Define the layout/template and Web framework/page mode.
- layout/place holders can be derived from the .master file of the website template or can be based on other templates or can be created by using Sitefinity Layout editor.
- Built in layout elements can be placed on the place holder to define the properties of the place holder (e.g.  Sizes, Spaces, CssClass) 
- Contents (Navigation, Content block, Image etc.) can be placed on the page template with/without defining the layout elements.
- To get overview on the page template please read the following documentation: http://docs.sitefinity.com/overview-page-templates.

Regards,
Arnob Makhlaqur
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed