Preserve/export users current password from old Sitefinity t

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 13:49

Preserve/export users current password from old Sitefinity to 8.2 users table?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2016 00:00

I created a brand new project using Sitefinity 8.2 and want to begin testing user functionality, using the username and passwords from our existing "telerik_users" table from our project running versions 3.7.

I notice there are a whole lot of new fields in the updated sf_users table.

In the "telerik_users" 3.7 table I have:

-Password

-PasswordFormat, and

- PasswordSalt

In the "sf_users" 8.2 table I have

-password,

-password_question,

-password_answer,

-password_format, and

-salt.  

The username, email, first and last names fields seem pretty straight forward, but what would be the best way to export and preserving a user's current 3.7 password  and salt, so that I can run a SQL query before we go live to import all user's credentials into version 8.2's sf_users table?  

Do I need to worry about the password_question and password_answer fields since they didn't exist in the previous user's table?  

I don't want to require our users to reset their passwords the first time they sign in once our new site goes live.  

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2016 00:00

Hello Troy,

You can try to migrate only the users and their roles following that article:
http://docs.sitefinity.com/migrate-sitefinity-3-7-projects

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2016 00:00

Thanks for the pointer - is there an easier way of export just the password and salt data than performing a migration?  I'm trying to keep the new sitefinity database as free of the clutter from our 3.7 site, as much as possible.  It had a lot of legacy data that we don't need anymore.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2016 00:00

Hello Troy,

The Users migration is automated process and will transfer the users to the new Sitefinity version in separate provider "OpenAccessMembership37Provider". You can use that provider or if you prefer you can recreate the users in the Default provider using the API, and disable the previouse one.
http://docs.sitefinity.com/for-developers-crud-operations-with-users

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed