Moving OpenAccessMembership37Provider to Default Authenticat

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 12:49

Moving OpenAccessMembership37Provider to Default Authentication Provider after user migration?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2016 00:00

After successfully test migrating users from a 3.7-era project, I'd like to write a script that updates those migrated users to be part of the "Default" group.  I tried updating the sf_users table to point to the new manager_info and app_info fields with the values of a "Default" user and it didn't seem to work.   Can anybody let me know which fields and tables need to be updated so that when the final migration is done, I can run a script to update everybody and close out the Sitefinity 3.7 provider?  

Also, is it possible to change the default trigger from true to false for "Is Backend User" when creating a new users - a majority of our users in the user table are customers and not employees with backend privileges.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jun-2016 00:00

Hi,

Please observe the following KB article which handles about:

Changing the default membership provider after migration from 3.7
http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/knowledge-base/details/changing-the-default-membership-provider-after-migration-from-3.7

Regards,
Dimitri Cools
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jun-2016 00:00

Thanks for the response, but is there a solution that doesn't involve the resetting of user passwords? We have over 5000 users in our system, and while I'm all for changing passwords from time to time, this would be a headache for our administrative assistants to assist even 10% of those users with questions about why they received a password reset and login issues if they had them.  

There isn't some DB table updates that can be done to switch one user and their appropriate related data to the new default provider?  

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jun-2016 00:00

Hi, 
I understand what you are saying but unfortunately because the passwords are hashed (with salt) it is not possible to change the provider for a user without recreating its password.
Depending on the issue you want to overcome you could maybe for example customize the login widget that the provider is chosen automatically according to the user.

Regards,
Dimitri Cools
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jun-2016 00:00

Thanks for the details on that.  

Is there documentation on setting the OpenAccessMembership37Provider as the primary login provider, and temporarily disable the current Default provider - at least for a bit until we come up with a good way to work with our customers to reset passwords and move everybody to the true default?  

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jun-2016 00:00

Hi, 

It is not recommended to remove/replace the Default provider, I would advice to alter the login widget to use the desired provider (OpenAccessMembership37Provider), similar to this section of
Custom membership provider: Create the public login page that uses the new provider
http://docs.sitefinity.com/custom-membership-provider-create-the-public-login-page-that-uses-the-new-provider

Regards,
Dimitri Cools
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2016 00:00

Thanks, Dimitri.  I think that will be a good solution with the login.  

If you don't mind, I have a related follow-up questions.  When adding new customers and employees, what is the best way reference the OpenAccessMembership37Provider for creating new users to ensure that we don't have a discrepancy with "default" users and OpenAccessMembership ones?  Both in terms of adding users from the SiteFinity dashboard and doing so programatically through code using the users API.

Thank you for all of your time!  I appreciate it.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2016 00:00

Hi, 
When working through the backend UI you will have to choose the correct provider when managing the users and/or creating one, 
eg.
http://screencast.com/t/V1oSca17EDT

When using the API, the GetManager() method takes an overload to specify the provider, 
eg.

UserManager userManager = UserManager.GetManager("OpenAccessMembership37Provider");

List<User> users = userManager.GetUsers().ToList();

more on 
CRUD operations with users
docs.sitefinity.com/for-developers-crud-operations-with-users

I hope the above information helps. 

Regards,
Dimitri Cools
Telerik

This thread is closed