how to remove the meta tag named "Generator" whic

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 12:26

how to remove the meta tag named "Generator" which Sitefinity generates by default containing the version information?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2017 00:00

I want to remove the meta tag "<meta name="Generator" content="Sitefinity 9.1.6110.0 SE ">" for which i have already implemented a solution by writing the following code chunk in the master page.

protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
   using (HtmlTextWriter htmlwriter = new HtmlTextWriter(new System.IO.StringWriter()))

base.Render(htmlwriter);
       string html = htmlwriter.InnerWriter.ToString();
       html = html.Replace("<meta name=\"Generator\" content=\"Sitefinity 8.0.5710.0 PE\" />", "");
       writer.Write((html));

But someone suggested me that its not an appropriate solution because of In-memory rendering of entire page, the default masterpage renders the entire page to a string which incurs a performance overhead. If you want to remove headers, you can do so
on the ASP.NET Page object level. So i want an other solution of it as suggested can anyone give an other solution?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2017 00:00

Hi Tabish,

I answered to your question at SO. Will repeat it here as well:

Best way to do that is subscribe to IPagePreRenderCompleteEvent event and remove this control. An example of global.asax code

protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
    Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Initialized += Bootstrapper_Initialized;

protected void Bootstrapper_Initialized(object sender, Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ExecutedEventArgs args)
    if (args.CommandName == "Bootstrapped")
        EventHub.Subscribe<IPagePreRenderCompleteEvent>(this.OnPagePreRenderCompleteEventHandler);

private void OnPagePreRenderCompleteEventHandler(IPagePreRenderCompleteEvent evt)
    if (!evt.PageSiteNode.IsBackend)

var controls = evt.Page.Header.Controls;
        System.Web.UI.Control generatorControl = null;
        for(int i=0;i< evt.Page.Header.Controls.Count;i++)

var control = evt.Page.Header.Controls[i];
            if ((control is HtmlMeta) && (control as HtmlMeta).Name == "Generator")
                generatorControl = control;

evt.Page.Header.Controls.Remove(generatorControl);

This thread is closed