Custom URL for Pages (Sitefinity 6.3)

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 15:43

Custom URL for Pages (Sitefinity 6.3)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi all,
In the next Sitefinity Version we will implement a the possibility to set a Custom URL for a page which is not dependent on the Site Structure. Description of the feature is below. Any questions or comments are welcome.

CUSTOM URLS IN PAGES

Wireframes: on this link

Creating

As a user working with pages deep into the hierarchy, I want to be able to change the default URL of the page to a custom url structure, so that it doesn’t depend on the hierarchy in the sitemap.

Use Case:
I have the following page hierarchy:
    page 1
       page 2
          page 3
Automatically, the default url of page 2 is: ~/page1/page2/  and the default url of page 3 is: ~/page1/page2/page3

I want to be able to make the default ULR of page 2: “ ~/XYZ/page23 ”
In this case:
•    changes to the URL of page1 no longer affect the URL of page2, and
•    the automatic URL of page 3 becomes: ~/XYZ/page23/page3”  

Uniqueness of custom URLs

When I change the default URL of a page to be custom, and that URL coincides with another one in the site map, I should see a warning, and the change should not be applied.

Editing

I should be able to replace a custom page URL with another custom page URL.  I expect the old URL to continue working with a 301 redirect to the new one. It should also show in section Additional URLs.

Switching Back to Automatic URL

As a user working with custom I should see option to Restore the default URL structure. When I use this option, the page URL will be recreated based on the page hierarchy.
Use Case: There is page 2 with custom URL “~/XYZ/page32”. When I restore to the default structure, it will become: “~/page1/page3/page3” – the hierarchy and urls will be taken from page hierarchy.

Excited about this feature. From a marketing perspective this will be very helpful!

Sorry to ask - but could I not simply enable multiple URL and add ~/whatever 

At least this is how I do it today.

There surely would be other stuff on my wishlist :-(

Markus

Lieber Herr
Winter

Unter
folgender ULR können Sie sich einloggen

140.ch.mserver4.arvixevps.com/sitefinity

später

http://www.140.ch/sitefinity

Benutzer:
Markus

Passwort:
MaWi8105! (Ausrufezeichen am Schluss nicht vergessen)

R�j�

Markus

Hi Markus,
Additional URLs are a workaround but not the best solution, because:
>> the default url shown in links and navigation continues to be the default one
>> the additional url redirects to the default url which is not optimal from SEO perspective
-Kalina

That's a great fix. What would be a really useful feature is to create a URL Rewrite Module, which would allow admins to manage redirects across the whole site. The redirect would be regardless of the requested URL is a page, media, doc, etc or exists at all as a Sitefinity resource. Currently, we are constantly having to install/use IIS's rewrite module in the web.config or http://urlrewriter.net.

Here's a great WordPress plugin for illustration of this:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/

I like this, adds more flexibility to what we can do in the UI without custom code

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi all, and thanks for the feedback!

Basem, including an URL Rewrite Module is a popular request and we might consider it for the coming release. To raise it priority, you can vote on PITS here:
www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

Regards, Kali

This thread is closed