Related Content Improvements in 7.1

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 15:34

Related Content Improvements in 7.1

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2014 00:00

Hi all,

We are starting to work on a list of improvements for Related Content for 7.1, and will be happy to hear your feedback/requirements.

Here are the items we’ve identified so far:

• Show some related items in a grid, per wireframe here (Hint: click on "6 Presentations")
    This will be very helpful in situations when relating to numerous items (>100),and showing them on the edit screen will be inconvenient.

Also, it can be used for situations when in dynamic content, you want to relate to more than one child content type. Currently, this cannot be done. However, you’ll be able to achieve it with related content.

• Display Prompt on deletion of items to which other item relate
  • Present sample of using related content with Custom Modules

Please, share your thoughts on the wireframes above.

What else do you consider a needed in Related Content?

We look forward to hearing your ideas!

Regards,
Kalina
Sitefinity Team

I love that idea to show the related items!

For Related Content associated with pages, automatic creation of widgets for display of the current page's related content would be nice. For example, if I associate "Related Photos" content to pages, then in my toolbox I would have a "Related Photos associated with page" widget available.

An alternative would be to enhance the existing widgets so that you could choose to display images associated with the current page. For example, if I associate "Related Photos" to pages, then i could use the Image Gallery widget and choose "Images related to this page" for "Which images to display?"

Posted by Community Admin on 20-May-2014 00:00

we're still missing a couple of features in 7.0

* Ability to relate MailingLists to items

* Multi object relationships - eg Betty is Mayor of Townsville (User: Betty, Title: Mayor, Region: Townsville) where User, Title and Region are all content items.

* Multiple types in a relationship - eg you can releate either a news or a blog article in the same field - I thought this was in the previews of 7.0 but I can't find it anywhere.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2014 00:00

@Kali, @betty brings up a good point...what about missing type selectors, like user pickers?  So like I can add a new USER related field to a content item (for example)

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2014 00:00

Also note that the module builder content export doesn't work very nicely with related fields (just puts '(collection)' in the cell).

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2014 00:00

Also can't seem to relate content to forms - seems like a no brainer to add.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2014 00:00

Hi all,

and thanks for the valuable feedback and insights on Related Content!

We've decided to put on hold the improvements in this area temporarily and focus on addressing the request for Having Multiple Child Types per Parent in Dynamic Modules (discussed here)

Related Content improvements were rescheduled for the next Sitefinity 7.2 release so keep the ideas coming! We will by all means continue working on them

Thanks again,

Kalina

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2014 00:00

I know this feature has been put on hold but I would like to add two more items to the list for related content.

1. Related content for users
  2. Related content for form entries

Thanks,

Craig

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello Craig, 

Thank you for your input. We will have your ideas in mind when we start the planning for some of our next releases.

Regards,

Antoaneta

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2014 00:00

When is the release planned as it's look like current release items are finalized?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi kamii47,

Sitefinity 7.1. release is planned for the second half of July. We will have a Beta in the beginning of July.
For updates and announcements related to releases you can follow this forum thread:
www.sitefinity.com/.../general-discussions-

Regards,
Kalina

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jul-2014 00:00

We need the ability to hide the Repeater (along with title of related content) if there is no content to display. At the moment we have to add an onprerender method to the Repeater in order to hide it, like so

<asp:Repeater runat="server" DataSource='<%# Eval("RelatedPages") %>' OnPreRender="RelatedPages_PreRender">
      <HeaderTemplate>
          <div class="sfContentBlock"
            <h5>Related Pages</h5>
            <ul>
      </HeaderTemplate>
      <ItemTemplate>
          <li><a href='<%# Telerik.Sitefinity.RelatedData.RelatedDataExtensions.GetDefaultUrl(Container.DataItem) %>'><%# Eval("Title") %></a></li>
      </ItemTemplate>
      <FooterTemplate>
            </ul>
          </div>
      </FooterTemplate>
</asp:Repeater>

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jul-2014 00:00

@David

You should just be able to use the Visible property if Count > 0...instead of a codebehind event

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2014 00:00

@Steve Have you done this yourself? If so what did you cast Eval("RelatedPages") to in the visible attribute.

Bear in mind that this needs to be easy to do for a non-techie person, ie the website editor/designer. Other sitefinity controls offer similar functionality, such as SitefinityLabel has HideIfNoText. It would be ideal if we had a SitefinityRepeater which had HideIfNoData

I've worked on a CMS called ADXStudio previously which had a useful control to do something similar, NonEmptyCondition. The contents will only render based on the DependsOn property having content

<adx:NonEmptyCondition runat="server" DependsOn="CommentSubject">
    <h4>
        <asp:Literal runat="server" ID="CommentSubject" Text='<%# Eval("HtmlEncodedSubject") %>' />
    </h4>
</adx:NonEmptyCondition>

This thread is closed