Site Sync in Multisite Improvements

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 14:26

Site Sync in Multisite Improvements

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi all,

In the next Sitefinity release we are planning to improve Sites Sync when used in Multisite scenarios.

There are two problems that we plan to address with greatest priority:

1.  When a new site is created on the Sources server, there should be an option to replicate it to the Target server for the purpose of sync;
  2. On the Source server, users working with content to sync, should be able to filter by site.

Version 1 of the wireframes is here.  As you will see:

• On the site sync screen, users will see a list of all sites existing on the Source server, and details on the last sync.
  • Users will be able to select one or more sites in the list, and by clicking on button "Sync selected sites" will be taken to a screen where they can sync content from the selected sites only.
  • On the sync screen, users will see sites which have not been synced to the target yet with status "Never been synced". The first time they sync content from such sites, the site will be created on the target server.

We have some questions to you:

• On the sync screen, what would be most common - to synch from one site, from all sites, or from a selection of sites.  Learning more about your specific scenarios will be helpful.
  • When a site is created on the target server for the first time, it will copy all site properties from the source server such as: Site name, Domain, Domain Alliance, Languages used, etc.
    Over time, when you make changes to the site properties on the source server, do you expect these to be synced to the target server as well? Example for such updates are in:
    • Domain, Test Domain, Domain Aliases, protocol
    • Switching between online and offline mode
    • Adding/removing languages, etc.

We look forward to receiving your feedback on the proposed solution and wireframes.

Any further insight in your specific cases will be valuable so that we consider them during the implementation.

Regards,
Kalina
Sitefinity Team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2015 00:00

For me I think it would be most common to sync one site at a time; however I do have times that I would want to sync multiple sites at once.

I would not expect the domain, test domain, domain aliases and protocol, or online/offline mode, to continue syncing after the initial setup. I don't see a problem with languages syncing (though I don't personally have multiple languages on my sites).

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2015 00:00

Telerik: On the sync screen, what would be most common - to synch from one site, from all sites, or from a selection of sites.  Learning more about your specific scenarios will be helpful.

Kaarthik: To Syn from one site would be appropriate. This provides an option for the user to choose the site they want to sync and not all. And within the chosen site - He will select the items that we want to sync from source to target

TeleriK: When a site is created on the target server for the first time, it will copy all site properties from the source server such as: Site name, Domain, Domain Alliance, Languages used, etc.

Kaarthik: If you provide an option to choose properties then it would be the best option.

On the wireframes : I'm not clear on one. I'm unable to see the sync selected sites button (hope on either sync all sites changed to sync selected sites). Also as i said earlier in my comment - I would prefect to go one by one site and will sync its contents. So I will be sure of what exactly I'm syncing and it doesnt affect other sites sync. 

Feel free to contact me. if you have any doubt. Otherwise the details are good. Looking forward to this feature in 8.0

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2015 00:00

Hi Kaarthikeyan,

On the second question: to summarize, when you sync a site from source to target server for the first time, you want to be able to specify only some, and not all site properties (Site name, Domain, Domain Alliance) to sync, and not all. Can you provide an example?

Now, on your question: On this screen (e1p90u.axshare.com/ users see a list of all sites in the multi site instance. Using the check boxes, they can select one or a more sites to sync. When they make a selection, they need to click on the button in the top toolbox called "Sync selected sites".

Do, let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Kalina

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2015 00:00

Hi Kalina - For the first time I would require all for the site properties to be synced but on the next time if we are going to sync the site, I would prefer a option to choose the site properties to be synced. Because after the first time sync - we would have changed the domain name and its alias properties in the production environment.  It would be difficult this gets updated. I hope you are also aligned on this from your question.

In Summary - for the First time - we would need;

From second time and afterwards, if we get a option to choose the site properties it would be nice to have.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2015 00:00

Hello guys,

We have released 8.0 beta 1 that includes the improvements of site sync for multisite (providing filtering items by site and site creation during site sync).

You could download and test it. If you have any ideas or suggestions - do not hesitate to write us!

You could find more info for the beta here.

It is available for download using the following link.

Important Note: Sitefinity 8.0 Beta is not production ready and should not be used on live sites. Upgrades from and to it will not be supported.

All the Best,

Dimitar

This thread is closed