Multilingual Support for Media Files in Libraries

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 12:32

Multilingual Support for Media Files in Libraries

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Oct-2015 00:00

Hi all,

For the next release, we will implement Multilingual Support for Media Files in Libraries, as requested on the feedback portal here.

This will allow users to create multilingual media items (images, documents) and attach different files to the different language versions of those items.

We are ready with version 1 of the prototypes and you can see them here:http://pmfsto.axshare.com/#p=specific_file_for_language_version

Please, take a look at the screens and let us know:

• Is there anything unclear ?
  • Do we cover what you have in mind with this feature?
  • How are you planning to use it - for images and for files.

We look forward to receiving your feedback and comments.

Best Regards,
Kalina Maneva

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Oct-2015 00:00

The multilingual also needs to support in News, Videos, Forms and List libraries (not just limited only in Images and Documents libraries). We need these missing functions in true multilingual sites.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Oct-2015 00:00

@Richard

News, forms, lists, and frankly the rest of the CMS already does multilingual fine.

The issue here is that you can't have a single Media content item (Image, Video, Doc), and localize it to different cultures.  Currently you need to literally make NEW content items....really screws with data relation.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Oct-2015 00:00

Hey everyone, 

We are still looking for feedback on the wireframes provided in Kali's post: pmfsto.axshare.com/

We are wondering what are the most used scenarios for multilingual media items? 

- Do you always plan to have different image/file for each translation or you will reuse most of the images/files and will add a new file in some translations only?

- From your perspective, is there any difference in the scenarios for Images and Files? 

It would be great if you can also share a specific use case/scenario you have for multilingual media items. 

Thanks a lot in advance,

Antoaneta

Hi Steve,

Yes, you are right.  I forget to double check. The missing functions are in Images, Videos and Documents & Files.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Kali/Antoaneta, 

For videos, documents & files, we do have different files for each translation.

Depends on the images. we will reuse the images or have  different images for each translation. The alternative text will allow me to enter the specific language.

The prototypes did cover most of the scenarios to support multilingual sites.

Thanks,

Richard

@Antoaneta

1) Same as multilingual content.  So like client needs a rotator, we make it with the module builder and allow them to use RelatedData to pick an image.  So then in that Image they should be able to define different images for the culture and it should change automatically based on that.  So in the one example the client had english text baked into the image, so in this case, they would need a second image to show in FR mode automatically without needing to link multiple images in.  We would also like a fallback (like the rest of the CMS) so if there is no FR translation defined, it just uses the EN one...

2) No...you want to link content once and have the reliant "Media content" loaded for the locale if it is set.

The only thing I would like you to think about is the "Use the file from other translation" part.   If the image is exactly the same I would not like SF to create a new "Copy" of the image, only when it's physically changed\replaced.  Like I dont want to have 1000 EN images, only 2 needing FR versions, but the CMS copying everything to give me 1998 identical files.

[quote]Antoaneta Tsaneva said:

Hey everyone, 

We are still looking for feedback on the wireframes provided in Kali's post: pmfsto.axshare.com/

We are wondering what are the most used scenarios for multilingual media items? 

- Do you always plan to have different image/file for each translation or you will reuse most of the images/files and will add a new file in some translations only?

- From your perspective, is there any difference in the scenarios for Images and Files? 

It would be great if you can also share a specific use case/scenario you have for multilingual media items. 

Thanks a lot in advance,

Antoaneta

[/quote]

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi all,

We revised the screens to make them more user friendly. You can see the final result here:
http://pmfsto.axshare.com/

We decided to separate visually the two options: Replace file and Use another file for this language.Also, these are now displayed under an icon on a file level.

Please review and let us know what you think.

- Kalina

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi Kali,

So just to clarify, if we create a translation for any media, and change the title/description etc but do not use the option "Use another file for [lang]".. then it will automatically fall back to the default media file?

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi Kalina,

Where is the  prototype for Images library? It was in version 1 of the prototypes.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi Richard,

you can see it on this link:

pmfsto.axshare.com/

- Kalina

Hi Nidhi,

By default a new translation will automatically fallback to the first uploaded file under the item (on most occasions - it is in the default language).

We didn't make the fall back to be to the default language version because the default language is per site and can change over time .

Let me know if you have more questions.

- Kalina

Hi Kali,

Is there a 'Alternative text' field for the Image?  I still don't see the prototype in the Images library.  The prototype is only for Documents & Files library because of the text 'Back to Documents & Files'.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi Richard,

our designers did the prototypes for Documents and Files first and then  - for Images.

They forgot to place Alternative Text but I confirm that there will be such.

Other than that, the experience will be very similar and this is how an image editing will look:

pmfsto.axshare.com/

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2016 00:00

Kali,

Is this still planned to be in the next release (I'm assuming that means 9.0)?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2016 00:00

Hi Ryan,

Yes, this implementation is still on track for Sitefinity 9.0 due in March.

Regards,

- Kalina

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2016 00:00

good!!

This thread is closed