How to backup Kendo projects

Posted by richyoder555 on 12-Mar-2018 07:16

We have our Kendo work folders under SVN to backup versions and share projects.  Most of this is generated code and can get quite large.  Can you tell me how to simply backup a Kendo project so that just the parts needed to recreate the app can be stored in SVN?

Posted by egarcia on 12-Mar-2018 08:00

Hello,

Are you looking at a particular folder?

I think that the main suggestion is to exclude the node_modules folder. You can use the option to ignore files in SVN.

(In Git, you would use.gitignore.)

The node_modules folder is re-created when doing Generate/Preview or by running npm  install.

You could also exclude the build-output folder. This is generated by running Publish.

You could do a backup of this folder if you publish it or distribute it to your customers.

I would keep all the other folders, even if they are generated from metadata.

I hope this helps.

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 12-Mar-2018 07:56

Hi,

Project generated from Kendo UI Builder environment is a node based project and it has bunch of node modules in them. List of all the modules/packages are available in package.json file which is located in project folder.

Considering above, we can remove node_modules directory and checkin/share rest of the folder structure. I.e., once we have this structure, running directly from node environment like npm install will bring all required files into project. Alternatively, we can perform build or preview operations in KUIB to generate required artifacts.

Note: We haven't checked in KUIB project to SVN for daily checkins. However, above mentioned is one way we share KUIB projects among.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar

Posted by egarcia on 12-Mar-2018 08:00

Hello,

Are you looking at a particular folder?

I think that the main suggestion is to exclude the node_modules folder. You can use the option to ignore files in SVN.

(In Git, you would use.gitignore.)

The node_modules folder is re-created when doing Generate/Preview or by running npm  install.

You could also exclude the build-output folder. This is generated by running Publish.

You could do a backup of this folder if you publish it or distribute it to your customers.

I would keep all the other folders, even if they are generated from metadata.

I hope this helps.

Posted by richyoder555 on 12-Mar-2018 08:23

Thanks to both of you. This works quite well.  I removed the build-output and app/node_modules and was able to build the project successfully.  The build-output saves around 20mb and the mode_modules a whopping 111mb on a small project. It's now under 2mb.   I intend to exclude these from SVN and this should solve the problem.  Thank you for the answers.

This thread is closed