Moving a View to a Different Module

Posted by franchiset on 14-Nov-2017 22:39

Hi,

Is there a way that we can move a view from one module to another, within the same application? We wanted to have the flexibility of moving views around after the views are created if we are inspired to change the UI/UX later in the development process.

We tried looking at manually moving files/folders within the KUIB_Projects, but that didn't seem to work.

It would be great if moving views from with the KUIB was on the roadmap for an upcoming version. Would there be an interim work-around method to do this?

Thank you.

Regards,

Carl

Posted by egarcia on 15-Nov-2017 05:51

Hello Carl,

I am not aware of an option to move a view from one module to another.

I will forward to Product Management your suggestion on adding an option to move views to KUIB so that it can be added to the roadmap if it is not there already.

A possible workaround would be to edit the metadata files for the modules in addition to moving the files.

(Also, you may need to update property extensionFolderName if it is present in your metadata.)

However, this is not a recommended approach. Editing the metadata directly may impact the integrity of the app.

If you try this approach, I would suggest to do a backup before any of the changes so that if you run into an issue, you can restore the previous version.

I hope this helps.

Thank you and regards,

Edsel

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 15-Nov-2017 05:51

Hello Carl,

I am not aware of an option to move a view from one module to another.

I will forward to Product Management your suggestion on adding an option to move views to KUIB so that it can be added to the roadmap if it is not there already.

A possible workaround would be to edit the metadata files for the modules in addition to moving the files.

(Also, you may need to update property extensionFolderName if it is present in your metadata.)

However, this is not a recommended approach. Editing the metadata directly may impact the integrity of the app.

If you try this approach, I would suggest to do a backup before any of the changes so that if you run into an issue, you can restore the previous version.

I hope this helps.

Thank you and regards,

Edsel

Posted by franchiset on 24-Nov-2017 12:25

Hello Edsel,

Thanks for your follow-up.

If we knew we could easily move modules and apps around later, we could be more aggressive about building things out sooner and arranging them later. As it seems to be now, we have to be careful which app and module we build a view. If later we we want to move the view, the only safe way is to re-build the view again in the desired module.

Since we are newbies to the KendoUI builder and building web apps in general, we want to be less careful initially about where the views are built. We're pretty confident that by the time we go through our UI/UX exercise and get end-user feedback, we'll need to make changes and some rearrangement of the views before deployment.

Thanks again and take care.

Carl

This thread is closed