What's the Recommended way to Create the Back-End/Busine

Posted by franchiset on 10-Aug-2017 17:04

We’re excited and frustrated at what and how we’re supposed to build the back-end things to power the KendoUIB apps. The docs and WBT seem to be as of 11.6.3 and there seems to be significant changes in 11.7. I’m sure not sure we’re doing it right. 

The steps outlined in the 2 resources below do not match what we see in PDSOE 11.7. So we guessed at what we should be doing. The attached zip files contain the screen prints of two paths we took and the problems encountered on each path.

• KUIB sample workflow: documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

• WBT: “Developing Business Entities for Progress OpenEdge Data Object Services”

• Path 1: Creating an OpenEdge Project, PASOE with a WEB transport but not selecting “Create a Data Object Service (Generate a JSDO catalog)”. This creates the project with a valid propath, but when we create the business entity, there are two services created Order9EntryService and Order9EntryService1. The KUIB app will work only with Order9EntryService1.

o This link (below) indicates we should right click the OrderEntryService and Edit. When we do this on Order9EntryService, we can’t click on Next to select the CustomerBE.cls. But the Next option does work when we edit Order9EntryService1.

documentation.progress.com/.../kuib-service.html#kflow/editing-the-data-object-service.html#

• Path 2: Creating an OpenEdge Project, PASOE with a WEB transport but we DO select “Create a Data Object Service (Generate a JSDO catalog)”. This SEEMS to create the project with a valid propath, but when we check the project properties after creating the project, the propath is blank. When we try to Create a Business entity class, we get a “super class…does not exist” error, likely because of the propath issue.

The screen prints show the options we took, which are guesses where the docs don’t match the screens. Where the docs and screens match, we follow the docs’ instructions.

I’m also not clear whether we should be selecting WEB or REST transports. I thought from the KUIB workshop at PUG Challenge/Exchange we should use WEB, but some of the screens then indicate “Webspeed”, which we’re not doing.

Please advise on the recommended path to create the back-end/business entities and services.

Thank you.

Carl

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/255/CreatingProgressOEDataObjectServicesForKUIB_2D00_CreatingAnABLWebAppProject_2D00_08_2D00_02_2D00_17.zip:320:240]

Posted by Anil Kumar on 10-Aug-2017 20:08

Hi Carl,

I have created a detailed document on creating OpenEdge backend service using WEB transport using OpenEdge 11.7.0. Please find attached document with detailed steps on the same.

As Ricardo stated, I would encourage you to go with ‘Path 1’ which is using Data Object services. Regarding REST vs WEB transports we can use either of the approaches for creating OpenEdge services. However, DataObject Web handler (which is new in OpenEdge 11.6.3) allows us to extend using ABL. On the other hand REST transport uses REST adapter (which was introduced in OpenEdge 11.2).

With respect to problems you have encountered:

>> when we check the project properties after creating the project, the propath is blank
Can you please check if there are any errors in the log file.

>> When we try to Create a Business entity class, we get a “super class…does not exist” error
We have seen this issue happening intermittently and a quick restart of PDS OE (workspace) should solve the problem.

Can you please try ‘OpenEdge service’ creation in a new workspace by following steps mentioned in the document and see if that solves the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

All Replies

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 10-Aug-2017 17:55

Hi Carl,

Hope all is well with you!!! I understand your challenge and I will try to record a video showing this process step-by-step whenever I get the opportunity (I've been traveling non stop).

I encourage others to share (since my knowledge is limited and I am from Sales [:D]), but the more reasonable approach to me seems to be your second attempt.  One thing I've noticed on your screen shots was that on the second screen of your second attempt, you did not select the OEPAS1 under Supported Servers for your new project.  Please make sure that on that second screen you check the box in front of the OEPAS1 Application Server.

Both REST and Web project types using the Data Object Service/JSDO should work!  REST uses the RPC and Web uses a WebHandler for the message transport layer.  

I personally prefer the Web project because the WebHandler provides an additional level where you can customize the header and body of the REST messages that are being exchanged. But with that said, I've seen some customers that had issues creating projects when using the Web project type.

Ideally you should open a Technical Support call and work on that issue with them.  But a possible workaround to try to move forward, would be to create it as a REST Project and make sure you select the OEPAS1 on the second screen.  If that does not work, there is something wrong with the install/environment and Technical Support should be able to help. 

All the best,

Ricardo

Posted by Anil Kumar on 10-Aug-2017 20:08

Hi Carl,

I have created a detailed document on creating OpenEdge backend service using WEB transport using OpenEdge 11.7.0. Please find attached document with detailed steps on the same.

As Ricardo stated, I would encourage you to go with ‘Path 1’ which is using Data Object services. Regarding REST vs WEB transports we can use either of the approaches for creating OpenEdge services. However, DataObject Web handler (which is new in OpenEdge 11.6.3) allows us to extend using ABL. On the other hand REST transport uses REST adapter (which was introduced in OpenEdge 11.2).

With respect to problems you have encountered:

>> when we check the project properties after creating the project, the propath is blank
Can you please check if there are any errors in the log file.

>> When we try to Create a Business entity class, we get a “super class…does not exist” error
We have seen this issue happening intermittently and a quick restart of PDS OE (workspace) should solve the problem.

Can you please try ‘OpenEdge service’ creation in a new workspace by following steps mentioned in the document and see if that solves the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

Posted by franchiset on 13-Aug-2017 13:43

Hi Ricardo and Anil,

Thank you for your helpful replies. The process definitely works better when you select oepas1 under Supported Servers!

Anil, thank you for your excellent step-by-step instructions. We followed the steps several times for building the backend for different tables, including for one of our own database tables, and were successful. Seeing it all work helps us to understand how the various pieces work together. We are making the last two steps (displaying the catalog and showing the data coming from the Business Entity) part of our standard procedure to confirm the backend before building the KUIB app. We appreciate your taking time to create this detailed doc and we're excited again!

Thanks and Regards,

Carl

Posted by Anil Kumar on 13-Aug-2017 19:42

Hi Carl,

You are welcome.

I am glad that the document was helpful and is enabling you to move forward with the KUIB apps creation.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

Posted by Saravanakumar Balasubramanian on 13-Aug-2017 21:32

Hi Anil/Ricardo,

We are right now in progress 11.4 and we have an app designed using webspeed. We are planning to revamp it using Kendo UI and design the backend services. I have couple of questions;

1. What are the demerits if we decide to stay with 11.4? Or in other words what can't be done in 11.4 and why should we move to either 11.6.3 or 11.7? Which one would you suggest?

2. I guess if we have to move to a higher version for time being its okay to move the front end to higher version and leave the db running on 11.4 and migrate it later. Or do you foresee any issues with this approach.

Regards,

Saravanakumar B

Posted by Anil Kumar on 14-Aug-2017 02:08

Hi Saravan,

I would like to provide my thoughts or views on this.

KUIB 2.0 uses JSDO 4.4 internally and this combination is certified or well verified with OpenEdge 11.7.0 and OpenEdge 11.7.1. JSDO is not certified with OpenEdge 11.4 version. However, KUIB needs a backend service (say RESTful or DataObject Web handler or OData) as part of ‘Data Provider’ creation which acts like building block for a KUIB webapp.

Using 11.4 OpenEdge we can expose OpenEdge data by creating RESTful services that are deployed to OE WebServer (or Tomcat in the Box). These services can be used directly in KUIB environment as part of KUIB web apps for building the front-end.

It is always ideal to use latest supported stack (KUIB 2.0, JSDO 4.4 and OpenEdge 11.7.1) for smooth execution. Though I haven’t tried using KUIB 2.0 with OpenEdge 11.4, you should be able to build a working application using OpenEdge 11.4 as well.

Some of the specific functionality which does depend on latest PDS OE (Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge) will be unavailable using 11.4.0 followed by changes to BusinessEntity abstract class file which will have impact on the Business Entity files.
  • Semantic Types
  • Foreign Key support

My two cents.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 14-Aug-2017 03:04

If I'm not mistaking, OpenEdge 11.4 rest adapter was not yet supporting the JSON dataset before image. That may be limiting.

Sent from Nine

Von: Anil Kumar <bounce-anikumar@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: 14.08.2017 09:09
An: TU.OE.Kendouibuilder@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Kendo UI Builder] What's the Recommended way to Create the Back-End/Business Entities and Services?

Update from Progress Community
Anil Kumar

Hi Saravan,

I would like to provide my thoughts or views on this.

KUIB 2.0 uses JSDO 4.4 internally and this combination is certified or well verified with OpenEdge 11.7.0 and OpenEdge 11.7.1. JSDO is not certified with OpenEdge 11.4 version. However, KUIB needs a backend service (say RESTful or DataObject Web handler or OData) as part of ‘Data Provider’ creation which acts like building block for a KUIB webapp.

Using 11.4 OpenEdge we can expose OpenEdge data by creating RESTful services that are deployed to OE WebServer (or Tomcat in the Box). These services can be used directly in KUIB environment as part of KUIB web apps for building the front-end.

It is always ideal to use latest supported stack (KUIB 2.0, JSDO 4.4 and OpenEdge 11.7.1) for smooth execution. Though I haven’t tried using KUIB 2.0 with OpenEdge 11.4, you should be able to build a working application using OpenEdge 11.4 as well.

Some of the specific functionality which does depend on latest PDS OE (Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge) will be unavailable using 11.4.0 followed by changes to BusinessEntity abstract class file which will have impact on the Business Entity files.
  • Semantic Types
  • Foreign Key support

My two cents.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This thread is closed